Adult Social Care

About this Guide

This guide is for those people who use our services. It explains:

  • Why we ask for your personal data
  • How personal data about you is collected
  • Who we share your personal data with
  • What we use that personal data for
  • What legal reason(s) we have to use your personal data
  • Where we store your personal data
  • Your rights

What is “Personal Data”

Personal data means any information which is about you or identifies you as an individual. About us Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council is a “Data Controller”, this means to enable us to provide our services we collect and process personal information about you.

We are required to give you this information under Data Protection legislation.

Everyone working for Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council has a legal duty to collect, process and store information about you in compliance with Data Protection law.

If there is anything in this guide that you do not understand, please speak to your health or social care worker.

Why we ask for your personal data?

We use data about you to help us to understand your needs, provide you with the care and support that you need, make sure you are safe, and work out whether you are eligible for financial support towards the cost of your care.

What personal data we collect about you?

We collect information about you so that we can offer the appropriate service to meet your 2 needs. The types of information we ask from you is:

Personal Data

  • Basic details: your name, address, telephone number(s) and email address
  • Date of birth
  • Contact details for members of your family and details of other support
  • Unique identifiers: NHS number or National insurance number; and
  • Information about your finances such as bank details, income, and any benefits you receive

As well as personal data, we may collect and share further information about you known as “special categories of personal data” (this used to be known as sensitive personal data) where appropriate. This includes:

  • Race or ethnic origin
  • Religious or philosophical beliefs
  • Data concerning a person’s sex life or sexual orientation
  • Gender
  • Genetic data
  • Data concerning health conditions or disabilities you may have

Visual Images

Should you require a stay at the Meadowgate Centre for reablement and rehabilitation, you will be required to provide a photograph.

This will be used for identification purposes and will be placed on individual’s rooms and their medication files.

How Personal Data is Collected

When you receive support from Adult Social Care, your personal information will be collected from a number of sources:

  • By agreement from you
  • From a carer or other family member
  • Referral from health services such as GP, hospitals, mental health trusts, and community health services
  • Police referral
  • Safeguarding concerns or
  • Third parties contracted to provide a service as part of your care

Who we share your data with?

We share your personal data internally within the Council for the provision of direct care and support as explained under the section “Why we ask for your personal data”.

When other organisations are involved in your care and support, we may need to share relevant information about you so that we can work together to meet your needs.

Your personal data will only be shared with third parties if they have a genuine and lawful need to access it.

Examples of who we share information with and why we share it include:

  • Private, community and voluntary sector organisations that are providing you with care and support. This could be a residential care home, a care at home agency, a day service, a support organisation or an organisation that is providing you with equipment or adaptations – we share information to make sure they meet your needs
  • NHS organisations when we are working with them to meet your health and social care needs (including mental health trusts), or to work out whether you are entitled to NHS funding; • housing providers, for example if you would like to be considered for supported housing; • the Police, if we think that you are at risk of neglect or abuse
  • The Fire Service, if we think that your home is at risk of fire; • other Local Authorities, if you are moving, or have moved between areas and we need to make sure that your care continues after you have moved
  • Our legal services provider or the Court of Protection – if there is a legal challenge in relation to your care and support, or if we need to make an application to the Court of Protection and
  • The Department for Work and Pensions or Liberata Plc (who provide Council Tax and Benefits services on behalf of the Council) - if we are supporting you to claim benefits

Other times that we may share your information with other organisations include: • if we believe that the health and safety of others is at risk;

  • For the purpose of crime prevention or the detection of fraud as part of the National Fraud Initiative
  • When the law requires us to pass on information under special circumstances, for example where we encounter infectious diseases which may be a public health concern, or where a formal court order has been issued. What we use your personal data for? Your information is used to
  • To create a core social care record which will record all contact we have had with you for example: notes from visits, or telephone conversations, appointments, letters and emails
  • To record assessments, support plans and reviews
  • To hold copies of financial information that you provide to help us work out what you can afford to pay towards your care and support
  • To enable us to carry out a statutory care function which we are legally required to do
  • To communicate and provide services appropriate to your needs

What legal reason(s) we have to use your personal data

Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing your personal information are:

  • We have a legal obligation relating to care and support for adults (The Care Act 2014 and the Health and Social Care Act 2015)
  • We need it to perform a public task carried out in the public interest. Where we process “special categories of personal data” (such as health, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation), we rely on processing for the provision of health and social care treatment

We do not need to rely on your consent to process or use your personal data (including special category data) as we have a statutory basis on which to collect and process this as outlined in the Care Act 2014.

Where we store your personal data

The information we collect, and use may be written down (manual records) or kept on a computer (electronic records including the social care core record).

How long we keep your personal information?

We will only keep your personal information for the length of time we consider is necessary based on the type of information, the services you are receiving and where there is a legal requirement.

The Council’s Document Retention and Disposal Policy lists how long we keep your personal information for.

Your Rights Under data protection law, you have rights based on our lawful basis for processing your personal data. For example:

  • Your right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information
  • Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete
  • Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances

We will always try to fulfil your request however we may be required to hold or use your information to comply with a legal requirement under the Acts as cited above.  

Access to Personal Data

The Data Protection Act 2018 allows you to find out what information is held about you, on paper and computer records.

This is known as ‘right of subject access’ and applies to your Adult Social Care records along with all other personal records.

Adult social care contact details


Directorate of Adults and Communities Adult Social Care, Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council, Seafield House, Kirkleatham Street, Redcar, Yorkshire TS10 1SP

Contact numbers, email and website: Telephone: 01642 065070 Email: Website:

Our normal office hours are: Monday to Thursday: 8.30 am - 5.00 pm Friday: 8.30 am - 4.30 pm

If you need help in emergency when our offices are closed, you can contact the Emergency Duty Team: Telephone: 01642 524552.

You are entitled to receive a copy of your records free of charge, within a month. In certain circumstances access to your records may be limited, for example, if the records you have asked for contain information relating to another person.

If you wish to see a copy of your records you should contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer, details of which are provided below.

Data Protection Officer

If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information or wish to make a Subject Access Request, you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer at or Telephone: 01642 774774.

Your right to lodge a complaint

You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.

The ICO’s address: Information Commissioner’s Office Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF Helpline number: 0303 123 1113