Environmental Health

Information for businesses on the food hygiene standards they need to meet, how to make complains and how to check the standard ratings.

Food hygiene and food standards

The team is responsible for the enforcement of Food Hygiene and Food Standards regulations. This work includes routine inspections, investigation of complaints and enforcement action where necessary.

What do I need to do before starting a Food Business

Before starting your new food business, you will need to:

  • Register with the Environmental Health (Commercial) Team. There are a few exceptions but generally all business that handle food and/or drink, even if very low risk, must register. If you have more than one business, you will need to register each separately. You must register on-line at Register a food business
  • Premises for a food business must comply with the standards in the hygiene regulations Further advice on choosing the right premises is available at Setting up a food business
  • Managing food safety. You must have procedures in place to manage food safety and food standards (including allergens in food) and ensure all food handlers have sufficient supervision and/or training so that they know how to handle food hygienically. The level of training needed will vary depending on the work carried out.  Further information is available at Starting a food business | Food Standards Agency For most smaller businesses we recommend using the Food Standards Agency Safer food, better business (SFBB) system
  • Food information. You must describe your food accurately so that customers are not mislead and, where food is pre-packed, make sure that your food is labelled correctly. This may include ingredients lists and allergens. More information about the information you need to include is available on the FSA website at Food information

Food businesses that make, prepare or handle meat, fish, egg or dairy products for supply to other businesses may require approval and not registration. 

How do I make a complaint about food or a food business?

If you are concerned about the hygiene conditions of a food business in the area or food that you have purchased, then please contact us. You will need to provide a description of the issue and the date it occurred along with your name and contact details, All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence, Your details will not be passed to the business without your permission.

What is the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme and how can I check the hygiene rating for a Food Business?

The Council operates the Food Standard Agency's Food Hygiene Rating Scheme. To find out how the scheme works visit Food Hygiene Rating Scheme .

Visit Search for ratings to check the current rating for a registered food business

How do I apply to renew a food hygiene rating?

If you are a food business and want to improve your food hygiene rating contact us to discuss your options.

We offer a free re-rating for businesses who are willing to wait the stand still period of 3 months from their last inspection. 

Alternatively, if you want to apply sooner you can pay a fee of £182.00 to skip the standstill period.

How do I view the Public Register of Food Businesses?

Should you wish to view the current Public Register of Food Businesses then please send your request to the email address below.

Contact Details

Environmental Health (Commercial) Team,