Complain about a councillor

If you feel that a Councillor has breached the Code of Conduct, then you can make a formal complaint.

Councillors Code of Conduct​

We recently updated the Code of Conduct for elected members and co-opted members and made some minor changes to reflect the findings of the Committee on Standards in Public Life and some best practice recommendations. ​

The Local Government Association (LGA) has developed the 'Model Councillor Code of Conduct' which has been designed to protect our democratic role, encourage good conduct and safeguard the public’s trust in local government. The full code of conduct can be found on the LGA website.

Information about the arrangements in place for dealing with a code of conduct complaint can be found below. 

How do I make a complaint?

All elected Councillors, whether representing a Parish, Town or the Borough, are expected to maintain high ethical standards in the course of their public duty. As such, all Councillors adhere to a Code of Conduct, which sets out the standards they should meet.

Who can complain?

Complaints against Councillors can be made by any member of the public, Officers of the Council or any other elected Councillor.

What can you complain about?

If you feel that a Councillor has breached the Code of Conduct, then you can make a formal complaint. A breach may include:

  • Bullying
  • Disclosing confidential information
  • Accepting inappropriate gifts and hospitality or failing to declare gifts and hospitality
  • Disreputable conduct
  • Misuse of Council facilities or resources
  • Failure to declare a pecuniary or other interest

Who will deal with my complaint?

We have a Standards Committee, which is made up of Borough and Parish Councillors and an independent representative. The Standards Committee has two sub-committees set up to deal with Code of Conduct complaints, the Assessment Sub-Committee and the Hearing Panel. The Council also has an Independent Person who may advise the Council about matters relating to complaints and who may also give advice to Members who are subject to a complaint.