Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Resident > Council Tax & Benefits > Council Tax > Council Tax Discounts and Reductions

​​​​​​Council Tax Discounts and Reductions

Do it online...

Some reductions can be claimed online. Click the links below to claim.  

If you would like to cancel your Single Person Discount for any reason, click here to do it online Council Tax Options


Manage your Council Tax through a personal online account

You can now manage your Council Tax account online. Head to My Account – Council Tax​ to register for your account.​

Single Person Discount Review  

If you are already receiving a Single Person discount and you have received a letter, text or email from us asking you to fill in a single person review form click here. Single person discount online form​. 

Do you have a low Household income?

you may be able to claim Council Tax Support


Personal discounts ,empty property discounts and premium charges  

The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in​​ a dwelling (as their main home). However, when calculating the number of adults resident in a dwelling certain people are not counted (see Council Tax discounts, reliefs and exemptions section below). If only one adult lives in a dwelling, a 25% discount can be claimed.
There are no discretionary discounts or exemptions that can be offered on empty domestic dwellings except where it is a requirement in legislation. (see the Exempt Properties section of this page for further information)
In cases where properties have been continuously empty for over 2 years the Council will apply an additional council tax charge. This will be called an 'Empty Property Premium'. The amount of the premium will be an additional 50% of the council tax liability. Therefore, properties that have been continuously empty for 2 or more years will incur a 150% council tax charge.
The Local Government Finance Act 2012 provides Local authorities with the power to change discounts and exemptions on empty properties and to charge a premium on long term empty homes.
Council Tax discounts, reliefs and exemptions, and who they apply to:
  • 25% discount may apply if only one eligible person lives in the property (claim online click here Council Tax Options )

  • 50% discount may apply if all the occupiers of the property are eligible for discount
  • ​If you live with someone in one of these categories you may be entitled to a discount
  • Full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training trainees (claim online click here Council Tax Options)
  • People being looked after permanently in care homes, nursing homes or hospitals
  • People who are severely mentally impaired (claim online click here Council Tax Options)  
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at, or have just left school
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • People caring for those with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • Members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • People in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)

If you would like to apply for a discount, relief or exemption click on the links on this page for the type of reduction that you would like to request or look in the 'Related Documents' section of this page for a downloadable form. If you can't find the form that you need, register your Council Tax account online at:  My Account – Council Tax and choose the 'contact us about your account option'; or email us: telling us about what you would like to apply for and we will provide you with further information.           

Disabled Persons Relief
If a disabled person lives in your household and special adaptations have been made to the property to help with that person's needs, relief may be available.
Examples of special adaptations include:
  • a room provided to meet the special needs of the disabled person (e.g. for storing dialysis equipment)
  • an extra bathroom or kitchen is provided for the person with the disability
  • sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair required to meeting the needs of the disabled person.

This relief can help disabled residents having to pay more Council Tax because of extra space needed in their housholds due to their disability.  If you qualify for relief your Council Tax bill will be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the band shown in the Valuation List. For example, if your home is in band C, your Council Tax bill will be reduced to the equivalent of a band B dwelling.

If you are already in the lowest proeprty band A you may still get a reduction.
How to claim:

If you wish to claim Disabled Persons Relief please download a form from the 'Related Links' section of this page. Print it out, fill it in, take a photograph of it on your smart device and upload it here Upload your form. Alternatively you can email the photograph to or hand the form in at any of the Council's Libraries.  


Exempt properties 

In some circumstances properties may be exempt from council tax due to the reason that they are empty or because of how they are occupied. Click below to find out about the categries of exemptions and to apply for an exemption online.

Occupied properties that are generally exempt from Council Tax charges  
  • Students Halls of Residence
  • Dwellings occupied wholly by students
  • Armed Forces accommodation
  • Visiting Forces accommodation
  • Dwellings occupied only by a person or persons aged under 18
  • Dwellings occupied only by a person or persons who is, or are, Severely Mentally Impaired
  • Dwellings occupied by Diplomats, persons who have diplomatic immunity and certain members of their household
  • Dwellings which form part of a single property and which are occupied by an elderly, severely mentally impaired or disabled relative of a person which lives in the other part of the property
Granny Annexes

Where a single property contains more than one self-contained unit, each of those units is treated as a separate dwelling for Council Tax purposes. A self-contained unit is defined as a building or part of a building which has been constructed or adapted for use as separate living accommodation. This includes structures such as those which are commonly termed Granny Annexes. With effect from the 1st April 1997, legislation has been amended so that such units shall be exempt from Council Tax if they are occupied by elderly, severely mentally impaired or disabled members of the same family as live in the other part of the property. This is known as a class W exemption. To claim this exemption click below:   

Properties wholly occupied by full time students are exempt from Council Tax.

In order to claim Exempt Dwelling Status for their property, students need to present an Exemption Certificate (available on request from the University / College) to the Council. A certificate is required for each individual occupier before Exemption can be granted. To claim and exemption click here Council Tax Options

Students can be liable to pay Council Tax. This can happen if Students live with other people who are not Students.
If the non Student occupiers are Benefit claimants, then there can still be some Reduction in the bill. There could be 100% benefit, if the Benefits claimants are receiving Job Seekers Allowance. Each individual case will be assessed by the Council tax benefits section and the bills will be adjusted accordingly.
If the non Student occupier(s) are not Benefit claimants then there will be something to pay, although there could be a discount if there is only one non student occupier, as all of the students are not counted.
Students and non students alike who are joint tenants of a property are jointly and severally liable for any amount of Council Tax due to be paid for that property.
Who is a student?
A Student is: Any person taking a course at a prescribed educational establishment or institution (University, College etc.) and includes:
  • A foreign language assistant
  • A person on a full time course
  • A person under 20 years of age on a part-time qualifying course of education
  • A Project 2000 nurse
What if the student has a break in their studies?
As long as they remain enrolled with the establishment and intend to return to their studies they would continue to be considered as a student for Council Tax purposes. Evidence of the break in studying would be required to allow this.
Overseas students and their spouses:
Students who have partners who are not Students would normally be treated in the same way as any two co-occupiers of a property (see above). An exception to this are Students who have a spouse or dependent who is not a British citizen, and who is prevented by the terms of their entry visa to the United Kingdom, from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits. In this case the spouse would be treated as the student was, subject to receipt of the appropriate documentation from the University/College.
How to claim:


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links