Planning appeals

Information about how to make an appeal if you disagree with our decisions regarding a planning application

If you applied for a planning permission and you don't agree with our decision to refuse permission for the proposed development or to grant it subject to conditions, then you can appeal to the Secretary of State under Section 78 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

Whilst applicants have the right to submit an appeal, there are no rights of appeal for third parties. 

Appeals are intended as a last resort and they can take several months to decide. It is often quicker to discuss with us whether changes to your proposal would make it more acceptable.

If you want to appeal, then you must do so within the requisite time period as indicated on the information supplied with the decision notice using a form which you can get from: The Planning Inspectorate at Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6PN Tel: 0303 444 00 00.​

For further details of the Householder Appeal Service (HAS), and how to make your appeal, please see the link below.

The following information leaflets published by the planning inspectorate are available to download:

Making your householder appeal

Making your planning appeal

Planning appeals (commenting on someone else's​ appeal):

Enforcement appeals:

Appeals Register:

The appeals register contains records of planning applications where an appeal has been lodged.

Useful links:

Privacy notice

Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.

This privacy notice is issued in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and describes how we collect and use personal information about you in the consideration, administration and enforcement of planning relating issues.

You can find our privacy notices online here.