A PACKED programme of festive fun and events have been planned for Redcar and Cleveland this year.
A major highlight will be the Redcar lights switch-on and illumination parade on Sunday 26 November where Santa himself will attend.
The fun at the Redcar switch-on starts on Redcar High Street at 2pm with animation and the main stage programme will start at 3pm and an illuminations parade from 4.15pm.
More than 200 participants will throng the streets of Redcar with artwork created with professional artists, including lanterns, costumes and exciting visual spectacles that will light up the route from the Civic Centre to Redcar Town. The parade will also be decked with professional performers, with the sights, sounds and smells of everything festive, while being entertained by outstanding musical artists. The stage will be full of entertainment and performance where the big button will be pressed by the Mayor of Redcar and Cleveland. The event is expected to finish at 5.45pm.
Another large scale event will be Saltburn Ice Trail on Saturday 16 December from 10am to 4pm which follows the huge success of last year’s event. Renowned ice sculptors Sand in Your Eye will return, to place nine amazing ice sculptures across Saltburn, creating a wonderful one-day trail for families to explore. Each sculpture will reveal a secret that you’ll need to find to complete the trail competition. The trail will feature a live ice carve, and a workshop with its very own ice post box, where the elves will help you write and post your letters to Santa. Alongside this wonderfully wintery trail, the event will feature entertainment, live performances and music, with the event presented alongside a Christmas market and music, programmed and produced by Saltburn Inspired.
Kirkleatham Museum and Grounds will once again celebrate Christmases past, including a traditional Georgian display. Make sure to get down on Saturday 2 December and Sunday 3 December from 10am to 3pm for the display but also to meet Father Christmas, enjoy Kirkleatham Owl Centre, an outdoor Christmas Trail and also the museum’s Christmas Market within the pavilion and also in the grounds which include stalls from Redcar and Cleveland young entrepreneurs who have won the opportunity to trade at the Kirkleatham Museum Georgian. There’s also the chance to create your own Georgian-inspired decorations with artist Jane Riley, bringing the mystery and romance of one of the most traditional decorations to your home this Christmas. Arts and crafts will also be available. Visit the museum’s Facebook page to find out more.
Councillor Carrie Richardson, Cabinet Member for Climate and Culture, said: “This is a fantastic programme of events and we invite everyone to come to Redcar and Cleveland and get the special festive feeling!”
Other Christmas lights switch-on and major Christmas community events include:
New Marske Christmas lights switch-on, Friday 1 December, 5pm. The Christmas parade leaves Sports Club and heads through the village to the Gleneagles Centre led by the Fire Brigade. You will find Santa, Christmas crafts, music, a tombola, and refreshments. Facebook page: New Marske Community Group.
Guisborough Christmas parade, Tuesday 5 Dec, 4pm to 8pm. Annual community event run by Guisborough Town Council. Santa’s Parade with reindeer, children’s entertainers, children’s rides, musical performances and a Santa’s grotto in Sunnyfield House. Many shops, cafes and restaurants open for the extended evening. Tickets for Santa’s grotto are £2 each, and are available now at Sunnyfield House, Guisborough. Pre-paid tickets only. For more information, call 01287 634595.
Saltburn Christmas lights switch-on, Saturday 2 Dec, 5pm. Santa and his parade leave the Fire Station and follow a route finishing at the Station Portico. This event is accessible to all, and families will have the opportunity to take it in turn to visit Santa in his Grotto for free.
Other Christmas activities for families will take place across the borough include:
- South Bank Christmas Market Friday, 17 Nov 4pm at Golden Boy Green
- Oh Yes It Is... A Fairytale Christmas at Ormesby Hall Every Friday from 24 Nov until Christmas. Also Mon to Thurs, 18 to 21 Dec. 10.30am to 3pm. Panto-themed Christmas at Ormesby Hall. Rooms adorned with sparkling lights and decorations from some of the most beloved pantomimes, such as Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. See prices at https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ormesby-hall
- Pop-up Christmas shopping event at Flatts Lane Country Park Sat 25 & Sun 26 Nov, 10am to 3pm Pop-up stalls. Free entry.
- Festive evening at Ormesby Hall Fri 1 & Sat 2 Dec, 6pm to 8:30pm Late-night opening with festive music. Normal admission prices. www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ormesby-hall
- Snow Ball Christmas joiner parties are back Enjoy a festive three course dinner, followed by dancing until late into the evening. Smart evening wear. Visit https://kirkleathamwalledgarden.co.uk/celebrate-with-us/ call 01642 054125 or email events @kirkleathamwalledgarden.co.uk
- Wreath-making workshops at Flatts Lane Woodland Country Park Sat 2, Sun 3, Sat 9, Sun 10 Dec. Sessions are 9am, 11.30am and 2.30pm. All equipment supplied. £20 per person (non-refundable). Booking is essential. Email: email@example.com, telephone 01642 459629 or call into the Visitor Centre.
- Marske annual Christmas festival and craft fair Thur 7 Dec Marske Square, Leisure Centre & White House Christmas Festival including funfair, Santa parade, Christmas crafts and Santa’s grotto.
- Guisborough community Christmas carols Mon 11 Dec, 7pm Guisborough Town Mayor, Councillor David Johnson, will be holding the community carol service in the Salvation Army Citadel Community Church, Westgate. Christmas festivities and enjoy a mince pie and coffee after the service.
- Ormesby Christmas market Wed 13 Dec, 3pm to 6pm at Ormesby Library Visit Santa and get a free photo and present. Market stalls include face painting, jewellery, wreaths, felting, glass wear and cards, bath bombs, journaling and decorations.
- Saltburn Inspired Christmas – Saturday 16th December – 1pm – 4pm - For the second year, Saltburn Inspired will bring the community together for a Christmas extravaganza! In partnership with the Saltburn Ice Trail, there’ll be a Christmas Art Market at the Station, with makers from near and far, for those last-minute Christmas gifts. Plus, there’ll be plenty of music as well. The Saltburn Smugglers Shanty group will be rolling a piano through the streets in preparation for a good old Christmas sing-a-long with Mister Keith who will lead the town in a special ‘Beer & Carols’ and an impromptu Saltburn Choir.
- Santa visit & Christmas crafts, Flatts Lane Woodland Country Park Sat 16 & 17 Dec, 10am to 11am, 11.30am to 12.30pm, 1pm to 2pm and 2pm to 3pm Visit Santa in his grotto, receive a gift, and have fun making Christmas crafts in the visitor centre. £8 per child.
- Community carol singing and services organised by Skelton and Brotton Parish Council with local churches on Sun 17 Dec. The first event will take place at 3.30pm at St Margaret’s Brotton with Lockwood Band and local primary schools. A second, separate event will then take place at All Saints, Skelton, at 5.30pm with Lockwood Band.
- Boxing Day dip, Redcar Esplanade and beach, Tues 26 Dec Return of the famous dip.
- Tom Rolfe Productions presents The Wizard of Oz TunedIn! Redcar 27 Dec to 31 Dec Take a stroll down the yellow brick road this Christmas and join Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion on the most magical adventure of all ‘The Wizard of Oz’. Book your tickets at www.redcarpanto.co.uk/ events/48045