Caravan and camping sites

To run a caravan or camping site in Redcar and Cleveland you need a licence from us.

Conditions attached to a licence 

There are a number of conditions attached to licences for caravan and camping sites. These include:

  • Restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • Controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • Controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • To ensure the steps taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • Fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • To ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

Depending on the type of caravan site, the Council will have regard to the relevant model conditions:

Mobile Homes ​Requirement for Manager to be ​a Fit and Proper Person 

The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020 prohibit the use of land as a residential mobile home site unless the local authority is satisfied that the owner or manager of the site is a fit and proper person to manage the site.

By October 2021, all site owners must submit an application for a relevant person to be assessed as fit and proper persons. This requirement does not apply to non-commercial family-occupied sites.

The mobile homes fit and proper persons application form is available upon request by contacting the licensing team by email.

​Regulation Summary 

There are two key pieces of legislation in relation to the licensing of caravan and camping sites. 

More information about these pieces of legislation can be found using the links below:

Application Evaluation Process 

Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land situated.

Applications must be in writing and should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

Apply Online

You are able to apply for licences to run, transfer ownership or change your caravan site using the links listed below.

​Trade Associations

There are a number of trade associations related to the running of caravan and camping sites.

These associations provide useful information. You can find out more by visiting their sites using the links listed below.


Licensing registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Council Offices.

You can view the Licensing Public Register page for more information.