Club premises certificate

To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club you need a club premises certificate.

A club premises certificate authorises the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club.

A qualifying club must satisfy the following requirements:

  • A person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted
  • That club rules state that those becoming a member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • That the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • That the club has at least 25 members
  • That alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club

Applying for a new club premises certificate

To apply for a club premises certificate you will need to complete an application form and specify the activities you intend to provide at the club.

The application form should also include:

  • a plan of the premises,
  • the appropriate fee, and
  • a copy of the club rules.

Advertise your application

After your application has been correctly submitted to us, you will need to:

  • Display a public notice at the premises for 28 consecutive days starting the day after the application was submitted, and
  • Publish a notice in a local newspaper at least once during a period of 10 working days starting the day after the application was submitted, and
  • If your application is being submitted by post, send a copy of the application and plan to the responsible authorities.

Information and guidance on public notices and advertising applications can be found here

How much should I pay?

The amount you will have to pay will depend on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises. The fees can be found on the GOV.UK Main fee levels web page.

For most types of clubs, you are also required to pay an annual fee on the anniversary of the issue of any premises licence. We will contact you when this is due.

Plan of the premises

Your plan of the premises should be drawn to the scale of 1:100 and should include the following:

  • The boundary of the premises and any internal and external walls
  • The location of points of access and egress from the premises including escape routes
  • The location of any fire safety equipment
  • Fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location (but not furniture) which may impact on the ability of individuals to use exits or escape routes
  • The location and height of any stage or raised area
  • The location of public conveniences if any
  • The location and type of any fire safety or other safety equipment
  • The location of a kitchen if any

What happens next

Once submitted, your application is subject to a 28 day consultation where Responsible Authorities and anyone else can make representations about the application.

If there are no representations, the licence is granted as applied for. However, if there are representations, the application will be referred to a licensing sub-committee for determination.

If your application is not advertised correctly, it may be rejected. If this is the case, you will need to start the process from the beginning.

Application forms

Contact details

Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council

Licensing Team

Redcar and Cleveland House

Kirkleatham Street


TS10 1RT


Tel: 01287 612377