Upcoming Elections in Redcar and Cleveland
You can use this page for information about upcoming elections in the Redcar and Cleveland area.
Mencap Elections Guide
Mencap have produced an easy to read and understand guide to voting in local elections. Visit the Mencap website for more information and to view this helpful guide to voting.
Local Elections – 2 May 2019
The next scheduled elections will take place on 2 May 2019 to elect all 59 Councillors who represent the 24 Wards across the Borough. There will also be elections in the five Parishes with vacancies for 77 Parish Councillors. These elections are held once every four years, on the first Thursday of May.
Nominations open 19 March for Candidates to put themselves forward for election in the 24 Wards and 22 Parish Wards and nomination forms must be submitted by 4pm on 3 April 2019. Further details and information will be published on this page throughout the election period.
Notice of Election - All Wards
Parish Notice of Election - All Areas
Election Agents and Offices
Statement of Persons Nominated
Parish Notice - Uncontested Elections
Parish Notice - Statement of Persons Nominated for Guisborough Town Council Contested Elections
What happens when?
There are several key dates and deadlines that you'll need to be aware of leading up to these elections:
- Publication of the Notice of election - Monday 18 March 2019
- Candidates nominations open - 10am, Tuesday 19 March 2019
- Candidates and Agents deadline for submitting nominations - 4pm, Wednesday 3 April 2019
- Polling day - between 7am and 10pm on Thursday 2 May 2019
Pollcards will be sent to all registered electors on 21/22 March and existing postal voters should expect to receive their postal ballot papers on 17 April. If you are not a postal voter, but would like to apply, you have until 5pm on 15 April to fill and return an application form and then you will receive your postal papers on 25 April.
If you are not already registered to vote (for example if you have moved home recently, or if you have just turned 18) then you should register to vote by 12 April in order to vote in these elections. You can do this online at www.gov.uk/registertovote.
The deadline to appoint a proxy, who can vote on your behalf at this election, is 5pm on 24 April.
European Parliamentary Election – 23 May 2019
The European Parliamentary Elections are scheduled to take place on Thursday 23 May 2019.
- The deadline for registering to vote at these elections is midnight on Tuesday, 7 May 2019
- The deadline to apply for a postal vote, or change a current postal vote is 5pm on Wednesday 8 May 2019
- The deadline to apply to vote by proxy (where someone else votes on your behalf) is 5pm on Wednesday 15 May 2019
If you are a European Union (EU) citizen, but not a citizen of the UK, Republic of Ireland, Malta or Cyprus, you can choose to vote in either your home country or in the UK at a European Parliamentary election. To vote in the UK, you must have completed two registrations:
- Firstly you need to be registered to vote as a local government elector. If you are not sure that you are registered, you can call us on 01642 774774 to check. If you know that you are not registered, you can go to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote to apply. The deadline to register is Tuesday 7 May 2019
- Secondly, you must also send a completed European Parliament voter registration form to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) by Tuesday 7 May 2019. A letter, containing this form has been posted to all affected EU citizens who are registered as local government electors in Redcar & Cleveland. Alternatively, the form and information can be downloaded from www.yourvotematters.co.uk
The North East region
The list of local authorities that make up the North East region are: Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar & Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton and Sunderland.
Standing as a candidate
Sunderland City Council's Returning Officer is the Regional Returning Officer for the North East region at European Parliamentary Elections. If you have any queries about the nomination process or wish to submit nomination papers, please get in touch with their Electoral Services team on 0191 561 1144 or email email@example.com
|Local Elections to elect 59 Councillors and all Parish Councillors|
European Parliamentary Election - North East Region
Tees Valley Combined Authority Mayoral Election
Find my polling station for the Local Elections - 2 May 2019
Use this tool to enter your postcode and find your polling station. If you have a postal vote and forgotten to post it, you can take your completed pack to your local polling station up until it closes at 10pm on 2 May.
For more information about polling stations and polling boundaries, you can search for your address using the map below. Simply enter your post code to find information about your nearest polling station.