Child employment, entertainment licencing and chaperone guidance

Information and guidance about employment for school-aged children

Part-time work can be a very positive experience for young people and give them some independence and responsibility.

Parents must ensure their child is registered with our local authority and has a permit to work.

Employers have responsibility to the children they employ and should apply to our local authority for the permit by completing the EMP1 application form and returning it to the Attendance and Welfare Service by email.

More information and guidance regarding the employment of school-aged children can be found on the website.

Entertainment Licences

Our local authority is also responsible for issuing Performance Licences. The application form ENT1 should be completed and returning it to the Attendance and Welfare Service by email.

Chaperone Licences

If you wish to look after a young person taking part in a performance, and you are not the parent or guardian, you are legally required to get a Chaperone Licence.

A Chaperone should give the same kind of care which a good parent might be reasonably expected to give that child.

To apply for a licence, you must:

  • Be 18 years old or over
  • Have a valid Redcar and Cleveland DBS certificate.

You will need to get clearance by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

This is an online process and free for volunteers.

There is a charge of £60 for Professional Chaperones to cover the cost of the DBS and administration of the licence.

You will need to request a date and time to bring your ID documents in to complete an online DBS.

The Attendance and Welfare Service will contact your referees.

Once we have DBS clearance and references and are happy that you are appropriate to be a Registered Chaperone with Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council we will send the Chaperone Licence to you via 1st class mail.

We recommend that you have had up to date safeguarding training.

Please bring any evidence of safeguarding training with you to the appointment.

We will need the completed application form (available below) and a head and shoulder picture of yourself (this can be taken with a mobile device).

You can send the application and photograph in advance of meeting in person if you wish.