Home to School Transport Service
Our Home to School Travel Policy is key to Redcar and Cleveland Borough Councils aim of promoting social inclusion and parental choice by removing potential barriers to learning.
If you live in Redcar and Cleveland we can provide assistance with home to school travel if your child is of statutory school age and meets one or more of the following conditions:
- The pupil's home is more than three miles from the nearest suitable secondary school (11-16 years). The Council will determine what is considered to be a suitable school.
- The pupil's home is more than two miles from the nearest suitable primary school (4-11 years). The Council will determine what is considered to be a suitable school.
- A pupil in Year 10 or 11 moves to an address still within Redcar and Cleveland more than three miles away from their current school subject to a maximum limit of 15 miles.
- A pupil has temporary or long term ill-health or disability that prevents them from walking to school
- A pupil is living in temporary emergency accommodation
- A pupil is unable to walk in safety to school due to the nature of the walking route
- A pupil is in care and meets one or more of the above criteria
- Pupils with disabled parent/s: Where disabled parents have to accompany their children along a walking route for it to be considered safe, and where the parents disability prevented them from doing so, in such circumstances, the Council may consider providing free home to school travel for the children of disabled parents. In the case of two parent families, both parents would need to be disabled to be considered.
Low Income eligibility
If you receive the maximum level of Working Tax Credit or if your child is entitled to free school meals, you can apply for help with transport to one of their three nearest appropriate secondary schools between two to six miles from the school to your home address. If your child goes to a secondary faith school, the distance between their home and the school must be between two and 15 miles.
To be eligible you must give us proof that you are on the maximum level of Working Tax Credit. If you are in receipt of free school meals you don't need to send in evidence (we can check this out for you).
The Home to School Transport Policy contains more information about Home to School Transport in Redcar and Cleveland.
Please use the documents below for specific information about the service:
Home to School Travel Guide 2017-18.pdf
Behaviour on Transport Protocol.pdf
Under 16 Application for Free Travel 2017-18.doc
Definition of nearest suitable school
References to the nearest suitable school are to be taken to mean the nearest qualifying school with places available that provides education appropriate to the age, ability and aptitude of the child, and any special educational needs that the child may have. The nearest qualifying school for a child with special educational needs may well be different than for other children. When considering eligibility for transport, for a school to be considered suitable it must have places available.
Post 16 Transport for Students with Disabilities Attending a Further Education Study Programme
Students resident in Redcar & Cleveland and who have transport needs identified in a Statement of Special Educational Needs, an Education Health and Care Plan or a Learning Difficulty Assessment issued by the Local Authority may be entitled to free transport or travel assistance. Learners must be aged between 16 and 24 on the 1st September of the relevant academic year. Eligibility is not based on distance criteria and the mode of transport offered to the learner will be appropriate to their individual needs. In all cases a transport assessment will be carried out.
Applications for travel must be completed by the learning provider or another relevant professional.
Post 16 Transport Policy Statement
Contact us if you would like to arrange for your child to access Home to School travel. Please call the team on 01642 444973.