The Blue Badge Scheme
You can apply for or renew a Blue Badge online at: https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge.
The aim of the scheme is to help disabled people with severe mobility problems to access goods and services, by allowing them to park close to their destination. The scheme is open to eligible disabled people irrespective of whether they are travelling as a driver or as a passenger.
You will be eligible for a badge if you:
- Receive the Higher Rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance; or
- Receive 8 points or more under the ‘Moving Around’ activity of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment; or
- Receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically
for Descriptor E under the “planning and following journeys” activity, on the
grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause
you overwhelming psychological distress*; or
- Are registered blind (severely sight impaired); or
- Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement or
- Have been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
*please be advised that applications under this criteria cannot be considered until 31 August 2019
You may be eligible for a badge if you:
- Drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and you are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter; or
- Have been certified by an expert assessor as having an enduring and substantial disability which causes you, during the course of a journey, to:
- Be unable to walk;
- Experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress; or
- Be at risk of serious harm when walking; or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person.
In addition, children under the age of three may be eligible for a badge if they fall
within either or both of the following descriptions:
- A child who, on account of a condition, must always be accompanied by bulky
medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great
- A child who, on account of a condition, must always be kept near a motor vehicle
so that, if necessary, treatment for that condition can be given in the vehicle or the
child can be taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where such treatment can be
Blue Badge Enquiries
The Blue Badge team will process applications on a daily basis. You will normally receive a response about your application within 7 days. If you do not receive a response within this period, please contact the Council's Customer Services.
For information about how to use your Blue Badge, please visit the GOV.UK website.