Sign In

​​​​​​​​​​​​Housing Benefit​

Claim Housing Benefit online:


Please note: If you're making a new Housing Benefit claim (and are of working age), you may have to claim Universal Credit insteadRead the information below to see if you need to do this.

Are you State pension credit age?​

You do not need to claim Universal Credit if you are of state pension credit age.​

Are you in supported or temporary accommodation?  

You will still need to claim Housing Benefit if you are in supported or temporary accommodation and you will need to claim Universal Credit for the benefits that cover your daily living expenses. 
To claim Universal Credit click here and follow the online instructions.​ For more information click Universal Credit or visit

I'm already receiving Housing Benefit and I have had a change

Changes to your household or circumstances, such as moving house, the addition of a new child, an adult moving in or out of the property or changes to your earnings, can make a difference to your Housing Benefit entitlement. Please let us know if any changes to your household have taken place to ensure your Housing Benefit is prope​rly alculated. 


If you have received a letter from us regarding 'Housing Benefit Award Accuracy Initiative'

Please use the following link to upload your required information


Before you start please make sure you have the following to hand:

  • National Insurance Number
  • Claim Reference Number
  • Full details of your Income and Expenditure


​Information about Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is available to people on a low income who are renting their homes to help them pay rent. You must have less than £16,000 in capital or savings to qualify for Housing Benefit.  

You cannot apply for Housing Benefit if you are already receiving Universal Credit, unless you move into temporary or supported accommodation. If you need help towards paying your council tax you will need to                                          apply to the Council for Council Tax Support.

Will I qualify?

You can visit the benefits calculator​ to determine if you will be eligible for Housing Benefit and to get an estimate of your entitlement amount.

How is my entitlement decided?

We take into account your income and who lives with you when deciding your entitlement. We compare this to the minimum amount the the government says that you need to live on and then calculate your claim. This is called a means test. Your entitlement decision letter will explain how your claim has been assessed your claim and advises you of your right of appeal should you disagree.     

If you experience any difficulties or require help and assistance you can ring us 01642 774774.  


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links