Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Resident > Council Tax & Benefits > Benefits and Support > Discretionary Housing Payments

​​​Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

What is a DHP?
A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) can be made to customers who are entitled to Housing Benefit and Universal Credit but need further financial assistance with the shortfall between their Housing Benefit award and their rent.

What DHPs cannot cover
​​DHPs will not be paid for: 

  • Ineligible service or support charges;
  • Council Tax Support shortfalls
  • Rent shortfalls if Housing Benefit is not in payment
  • Rental charges to cover rent arrears​

More information about Discretionary Housing Payment policy can be found online. 

How to claim ​

Make a claim online

If you are unable to complete the form online, you can email us and ask us to send you a paper form.

Evidence Required
Please ensure that you provide evidence for your income and expenditure.

Examples of evidence you may wish to supply are:

  • Benefit award letters
  • Bank statements (showing direct debits/standing orders)
  • Receipts for payment (clearly labelled showing what the payment is for)
  • Statements of accounts
  • Payment books showing payments being made

Evidence can be sent electronically via email to Alternatively, evidence can be taken to a Council Library/Customer Contact Point or sent via post to:

Financial Support Team, 

Redcar & Cleveland House, 

Kirkleatham Street, 


TS10 1RT 

If you have any problems making your DHP claim, you can contact us 01642 774774 for further advice.​


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links