Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)
What is a DHP?
A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) can be made to customers who are entitled to Housing Benefit and Universal Credit but need further financial assistance with the shortfall between their Housing Benefit award and their rent.
What DHPs cannot cover
DHPs will not be paid for:
- Ineligible service or support charges;
- Council Tax Support shortfalls
- Rent shortfalls if Housing Benefit is not in payment
- Rental charges to cover rent arrears
More information about Discretionary Housing Payment policy can be found online.
How to claim
If you are unable to complete the form online, you can email us DHP@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk and ask us to send you a paper form.
Please ensure that you provide evidence for your income and expenditure.
Examples of evidence you may wish to supply are:
- Benefit award letters
- Bank statements (showing direct debits/standing orders)
- Receipts for payment (clearly labelled showing what the payment is for)
- Statements of accounts
- Payment books showing payments being made
Evidence can be sent electronically via email to DHP@redcar-cleveland.gov.uk. Alternatively, evidence can be taken to a Council Library/Customer Contact Point or sent via post to:
Financial Support Team,
Redcar & Cleveland House,
If you have any problems making your DHP claim, you can contact us 01642 774774 for further advice.