What do ants look like?
- The most common ant is a garden ant and is brown-black in appearance with the three parts of the body visible: head, thorax and abdomen.
- They are 3-5 mm in length.
- Worker ants will invade property looking for food to take back to the nest.
- Flying ants are the reproductive ants and only mate for a few days during July and August.
How do I know I have ants?
They will be visible going to and from the nest looking for food supplies usually sweet foodstuffs.
How do I prevent problems with ants?
You cannot do anything to prevent ants other than being aware of nests which could be small piles of earth.
How do I treat ants?
- Locate the nest and pour boiling water over it.
- Use a sweet liquid to pour over the nest such as boric acid and sugar. Boric acid is readily available in supermarkets and chemists.
- Ant treatments (such as gels, powders and bait stations) are available in garden centres and supermarkets.