Hate crime​​​

Hate crimes are any crimes that are targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards that persons. See this page to learn how to report a hate crime.

Community Safety Partnership (CSP) is committed to tackling any kind of hate crime or incident that occurs in the district. We are working closely with the local hate crime group, other agencies and voluntary sector organisations who offer support to victims. We also work with schools and colleges in the area to promote tolerance.

People targeted for hate crimes

A hate crime is any hate incident, which constitutes a criminal offence, perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by prejudice or hate.

Anyone could be a victim of a hate crime. A person can be targeted because of, but not limited to their:

  • Disability (physical disability, learning disability, sensory disability or their mental health)
  • Race or ethnicity
  • Religion or belief
  • Sexual orientation
  • Gender identity
  • Subcultures (how they act or dress e.g. Emo, Goth and punks)

Report a hate crime

Hate crime can have a devastating effect upon the person who suffers it, they can be confusing and frightening. 

By reporting them when they happen to you, you may be able to prevent these incidents from happening to someone else. You will also help the police understand the extent of hate crime in your local area so they can better respond to it. You can also get the support you may need and help ensure that offenders are brought to justice.

Reporting makes a difference - to you, your friends, and your life.

There are several ways you can report a hate crime:

  • Contact the Police - by ringing 999 in an emergency or 101 for a non-emergency. You can speak to the police in confidence. You do not have to give your personal details, but please be aware the investigation and ability to prosecute the offender(s) is severely limited if the police cannot contact you.
  • Use a third party reporting centre -  We operate a third party reporting centre network consisting of the following publicly accessible buildings and services where you can report a hate crime incident in confidence. Third party reporting centres can provide you with support and they can forward details of the incident to the police. This does not have to include your contact details if you don't wish the police to investigate the incident, but can alert the police to areas where hate crime is a particular issue:

Coastal area third party reporting centres:

Redcar library and community hub, Kirkleatham Street, REDCAR TS10 1RT

Seafield House, Kirkleatham Street, REDCAR TS10 1SP

Dormanstown Family Hub, South Avenue, REDCAR TS10 5LL 

Green Gates Family Hub, Keilder Close, REDCAR TS10 4HS 

Beyond housing, 14 Ennis Square REDCAR TS10 5JR

Redcar & Cleveland College, Corporation Road, REDCAR TS10 1EZ

Greater Eston area third party reporting centres:

Grangetown Family Hub, Grange Farm Road, Grangetown TS6 7HP 

South Bank Family Hub, Poplar Grove, South Bank TS6 6SY 

Guisborough and east Cleveland area third party reporting centres:

Guisborough library and community hub, 90 Westgate, GUISBOROUGH TS14 6AR  

Skelton Family Hub, Skelton Youth & Community Centre, De Brus Site, Marske Lane, Skelton TS12 2HA

Loftus Family Hub, Duncan Place, Loftus, TS13 4PR 

  • Directly to us - You can complete the online form to report a Hate Crime 
  • Alternatively you can ring us at (01642) 774774. A pdf form can be downloaded below:

If it's an emergency, but you can't make a voice call, you can now contact the 999 emergency services by SMS text from your mobile phone. However, you will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergencySMS first. See the emergencySMS website for details​.

Support for victims of hate crimes

If you have been a victim of a hate crime or incident, the effects could last for a long time. If you require support to deal with the experience Victim Support offer a free service that is available to everyone. You can contact Victim Support on 0845 30 30 900 or visit the Victim Support website.​