Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Democracy > Voting

​​Register to Vote 

In order to vote in an election you need to be on the electoral register.
Who is eligible to register? 
  • You have to be 18 or over and a resident in the electoral area
  • You must be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of a European Union country.

How do I get my name on the electoral register? 
The way you register to vote has changed. Individuals are now responsible for registering themselves instead of one person representing a whole household, as was previously the case.
Some people who were on the electoral register previously will need to re-register under the new system.
If you have moved within Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council we will remove your name from your previous address on the electoral register. If you have moved from a different council area we will inform them once you are on Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council’s electoral register.
There are special rules about being added to the voter list during an election period which may mean you are not able to vote at that election.

Why should I register?
  • The information is required by law
  • If you do not register you cannot exercise your democratic right to vote in any election
  • If you are not listed on the register you may have difficulty applying for a loan, credit card, mortgage or bank account as the register is used by credit reference agencies
  • The electoral register is used to appoint people for jury service.

Postal voting
Any person on the register ca​n apply for a postal vote. The deadline for applications to be received by the elections office is 5pm, 11 working days before an election.

Proxy voting
As an alternative to postal voting, you can appoint someone to vote on your behalf (proxy voting). 
If you already have a postal vote and wish to change to a proxy you must tell us by 5pm, 11 working days before the poll.
The deadline for new proxy applications to be received by the elections office is 5pm, 6 working days before an election.

You can apply for a permanent proxy vote if:

  • You have a permanent physical incapacity, are registered blind or receive the higher rate of mobility component of the disability living allowance
  • Your work frequently takes you away from home.​
  • The permanent application form requires a signed declaration, from either a doctor, nurse or warden of a home, or in the case of work your employer.
Two versions of the register
There are two versions of the electoral register - the full electoral register and the open register (formerly known as the edited register).

The electoral register
This lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:
  • Detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
  • Calling people for jury service
  • Checking credit applications.

Choose whether you are on the open register
You can choose whether you are included on the open register when you register to vote.
If you are already on the register then you can opt out of (or back in to) the open register.
The open register​
This is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed.  Removing you details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

How can I view the register?
You can view the current electoral register, under supervision, for the whole borough at the Redcar and Community Leisure Heart. Other branch libraries hold information for the local area.

How we handle your information

We use information about citizens, Electors and Voters to enable us to carry out specific functions for which we are responsible and to provide you with a statutory service. Your records are used to help ensure that we provide you with the service that you need. We will, based on your nationality, include your name on the Electoral Register so that you are able to vote by your chosen method. 

This leaflet will provide you with further information about how we handle your personal data:​

Electoral Services Privacy Notice.pdf

Others Forms 
The Government Website contains all of the electoral forms that you may need to register to vote and set up any special arrangements.
There are also specific application forms for British citizens living abroad and service voters who wish to register to vote.​


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links