About the Service
The Governance Support Service is part of the School Improvement Service within the Learning and Achievement arm of the Children and Families Directorate. As a team we are committed to providing advice, guidance, support and training to governors and governing bodies of schools and academies. These web pages contain information for existing governors, potential governors and newly appointed governors. The information can be accessed by clicking on the links on the contents page
Primarily we offer a service to schools and academies within Redcar and Cleveland. However, we are currently providing services to other schools/academies outside of Redcar and Cleveland and to academy trusts. We are providing a regional clerking role for a national academy trust as well as supporting the Board of Directors of two local multi-academy trusts. Given the wealth of knowledge and experience acquired on governing academy trusts we have recently expanded our service to support academy conversion and advising on governance structures within multi-academy trusts. If you are interested in discussing any support required please contact us. We will provide costings on request.
A service level agreement is available for clerking meetings of governing boards . The advantages of using the School Governor Support Service include the following:
- Your governing body will be allocated a support officer, who will be part of a trained team with knowledge, understanding and expertise in the field of school governance.
- Working as part of a team enables support officers to work jointly to:
- arrive at solutions to governing body issues before providing advice;
- interpret and apply legislation, including considering the requirements and implications of new legislation;
- share good practices from a wide range of governing bodies.
- Wherever possible, your allocated support officer will attend all purchased meetings within your service level agreement to provide continuity. The Governance Support Service will provide cover for such meetings, wherever possible, should your allocated support officer be unable to attend for any reason. Support is also available for staff dismissal, pupil discipline and complaints committee meetings.
- Support officers employed by the Govrenance Support Service have useful links with other local authority officers and this can assist in carrying out follow-up work on behalf of your governing body.
- Support officers are briefed at the beginning of each term on any local authority papers to be presented to governing bodies and, on emerging key local and national issues.
The Governance Support Service provides a range of training opportunities for governors and governing bodies. The majority of these courses are offered under a service level agreement, whereby schools pay a one-off fee at the beginning of the year for unlimited attendance on governor training courses by governors, associate members and the the head teacher. Governing bodies do still have the option to pay for attendance at training courses within the central development programme on a "Pay-as-You-Go" basis.
The training opportunities offered are greatly valued by governors with more than 95% of sessions judged by attendees as good or better. Tutors do whenever possible distinguish between the obligations of maintained schools, single academy convertors and those of academies within a multi-academy trust framework.
Governors serving on governance bodies which subscribe to the Governance Support Service have access to SLA Frontline - an online portal where information on their board is stored, along with information and guidance documents.