Specialist Teaching Service - Autistic Spectrum Conditions
This team is made up of a specialist qualified teacher and two specialist LSAs.
The work of the team essentially consists of a variety of approaches to making the environment of the child, both at home and school, more ASC friendly, so enabling such children to enjoy and achieve more than they might if their patterns of understanding and interaction were allowed to become obstacles to such progress.
The ASC team:
- Delivers the EarlyBird Plus Programme to parents of children aged between 5 and 10 years, and to practitioners who work with children
- Gives individual support to children in schools from Nursery to Year 13
- Delivers training to school practitioners giving ASC awareness and strategies
- Delivers social skills programmes to groups of children in schools
- Gives advice and ideas to individual practitioners in schools, early years settings and social care respite settings, teachers, LSAs, lunch-time supervisors.
- Provides resources, e.g. information packs, visual material, including timetables, to schools
- Contributes to EHCPs.
- Liaises with other agencies, e.g. School Age Social Communication Assessment Team (SASCAT), Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS), 14 to 19 years Education & Skills Team, etc.
- Gives support to children during transitions, especially KS2 to KS3