Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Resident > Schools & Learning > Access and Inclusion > Special Education Needs Service > What Providers Must Do To Support You and Your Child

Provider Requirements​​​​​​

What our Early Years Settings, Schools, Colleges and Other Educational Providers must do to Support You and Your Child

All children and young people who have will be able to receive SEN support in their educational setting and if your child's needs are severe or complex, they might need an EHC needs assessment and plan.

Early Years
All early years settings (nurseries, playgroups and child-minders) that are registered with Ofsted must adhere to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) which covers 2, 3 and 4 year olds and means they must have arrangements in place to support children with SEND. They must provide you with a written progress report on your child when they are 2 years old and a written assessment during the summer term of their reception year in school. Your health visitor will also complete a health check when they are about 2 and a half.

Most children under 2 do not attend early years settings and if you think your child may have SEND, talk to your doctor or health visitor who will consider what kind of support might be help your child they must also let the Local Authority know.

Children of school age
All schools must publish detailed information (usually on their website) about how they identify, assess and support children with SEND.
If you think your child may have SEND, you should talk to your child's class teacher. Every school has an SEN Co-ordinator whose role it is to co-ordinate SEN provision and you can talk through your concerns with them.
If your child's school thinks he/she may have SEND, they must tell you and let you know what provision they feel should be put in place see SEN Support section.

Your child's school may take advice and support from specialists outside the school to help your child, such as a speech therapist, specialist teacher or educational psychologist.

If your child's school cannot meet your child's needs, then they may wish to discuss whether an EHC needs assessment and plan should be considered see EHC Needs Assessment and Plans section.

Most children with an EHC plan will be supported in their local mainstream school but some may be taught in a special school, who only provide education for children with SEND. Special schools will discuss your child's progress regularly with you in the same way mainstream schools do.

If your child has an EHC plan, you can ask for your child to attend a non-maintained or independent special school or independent specialist college, and the Local Authority must agree to this unless the provision there is not considered to meet your child's needs, does not represent good value for money or would negatively impact on the education of others.

More information on these topics are available in the 0 25 SEND Code of Practice.

Young People aged over 16 in further education
Further education (FE)​ might be in a FE college, in a 6th form or in a 16-19 academy. All these settings should be involved as early as possible as your child moves into this phase of their education many young people are becoming increasingly independent as they move into FE provision and the settings must discuss your child's needs, wishes and aspirations directly with them. You may wish to discuss with your child how this might work for your family. The settings must discuss your child's progress regularly with you and them, and review the help they get.

A FE setting may feel your child requires an EHC needs assessment and plan and will discuss this you and your child.

Preparing for Adulthood
This is about young people and their families preparing for things such as higher education, independent living, being involved in the community and being as healthy as possible in adult life.

Schools and colleges will start having discussions about moving into adulthood with your child from around the age of 13 or 14. You will be included in planning for your child as well.

The Local Authority's Information, advice and support services will be able to provide help to you and your child along with services such as housing and adult social care. If it will benefit your child, an adult care transition assessment may be undertaken.

For further information relating to SEND please go to the People's Information Network website​.


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links