Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Resident > Planning & Building Control > Building Control > Building Control Approvals

​Building Regulations Approval​

You should get approval before you start work otherwise you may have to fix any issues we find at your own expense.


Before you start work

It is illegal to start work without notifying us first. You might have to correct the work or pay a fine if you do not tell us about it. You will also need a certificate of compliance if you want to sell your home.

Building Notice

​For minor work on single family houses such as garage conversions, toilet installations and small extensions.

You don't need to submit any plans but you must be confident that the work being done will comply with building regulations. You risk having to fix any issues after we have inspected if it is not correct.

Please note that the Building Notice procedure cannot be used for work in connection with a building to which the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies or where it is proposed to erect the building or extension over a sewer or drain shown on the relative map of public sewers. In these cases, a full plans application will be required.

A Building Notice attracts a fee payable by the person by whom or on whose behalf the work is being carried out. It is payable at the time of submission of the notice. The fee comprises a single payment which covers all necessary site visits until satisfactory completion of the work. The appropriate charge is dependant upon the type of work proposed.

Building Notice Guidance.pdf

Full Plans

If you choose to submit a full plans application, a Building Surveyor will examine your details and advise you of any changes required to meet the Building Regulations. Site inspections of work in progress will then be carried out by the Surveyor at the appropriate time for the various stages of the construction process.

In order to check your proposals for compliance with the Building Regulations as quickly as possible and to avoid unnecessary delays, we would ask that you supply the following information at the time of submitting your application:

A Full Plans Submission attracts fees payable by the person by whom or on whose behalf the work is to be carried out. Fees are payable in two stages and the first fee must accompany the deposit of the plans to cover their examination and subsequent issue of a decision notice. The appropriate charge is dependent upon the type of work proposed. The second fee is payable after the first site inspection of work in progress and covers all necessary site visits until satisfactory completion of the work.

Full Plans Guidance.pdf


Unfortunately, there are occasions when an application is not submitted to the Authority and a development was neither authorised nor inspected. This often prejudices the sale of a property.

The Local Authority are able to assist in these circumstances by issuing a Regularisation Certificate for unauthorised work commenced since 11 November 1985. Such a certificate will be given in those instances where inspections by the Local Authority show that the unauthorised work complies with building legislation in force at the time the work was undertaken. A fee is payable for the service.

Regularisation Certificate Guidance.pdf

Partner Authority Scheme (full plans)

For architects and designers who wish to partner with Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council Building Control.

This enables us to plan check your building regulation application no​ matter where in the country the work is constructed.

This provides a more consistent interpretation of the regulations along with a good working relationship. For more information see LABC​.​

Please note: You cannot get approval for any work completed before 12 November 1985.

The easiest way to submit a Building Control application is online, either through the Planning Portal website, or via email to​

These are both free services which allow users to submit building regulation applications to the council's Building Control service.​

Alternatively, you can download the printable Building Regulations application forms below:


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links