Where You Can Use The Blue Badge
There are some areas where the Blue Badge does not apply. The information below outlines this to ensure you know exactly when and where you can use your blue badge.
The Scheme does not apply:
- On private roads
- In off-street car parks. However, some may provide spaces for disabled people. You should check the signs to see what concessions are available, and whether Blue Badge holders have to pay. Always display your Blue Badge when occupying one of these spaces.
- In certain town centres, where access is prohibited or limited to vehicles with special permits issued locally.
- In Central London, but some facilities are provided.
- On the road systems at some airports (e.g. Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester). You should therefore contact the airport concerned in advance to check the car parking arrangements.
- The Scheme does not apply in the following areas in Central London - the City of London, the City of Westminster, the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and that part of the London Borough of Camden, bounded by and including the borough boundary, Euston Road, Upper Woburn Place, Tavistock Square, Woburn Place, Russell Square, Southampton Road, Theobalds Road and Clerkenwell Road.
- They also offer a limited range of concessions to other disabled people. These generally consist of parking spaces reserved for Blue Badge holders and some form of concessionary parking at meters in Westminster and Kensington and Chelsea after the initial period of parking has been paid for.
If you are planning to visit Central London and intend to use your badge you may wish to check first with the authorities concerned. Details of the concessions provided in each authority can be obtained from:
Corporation of London
Department of Technical Services
Corporation of London
PO Box 270
Guild Hall, London EC2P 2ET
Tel: (020) 7332 3399
Kensington & Chelsea
19-27 Young Street
London W8 5EH
Tel: (020) 7361 4258
Disabled Permits Section
PO Box 20219
London NW1 1WS
Tel: (020) 7681 4655
Disabled Parking Office
PO Box 6100
London SW1P 1FG
Tel: (020) 7641 5123
More information about parking in London for Blue Badge holders can be obtained from the Transport Committee for London on (020) 7747 4700.
- Red routes are main roads in Greater London where stopping (for parking or loading) is not allowed except at designated times and in specially marked places. Some of these places are specifically reserved for Blue Badge holders, but you should always check the signs to see what concessions are available. A vehicle displaying a Blue Badge may stop, but only to pick up or set down the badge holder.
- Transport for London has general information on concessions for Blue Badge holders on roads subject to priority (Red) route controls. This can be obtained by telephoning (020) 7941 2010.