What support is available for those sleeping rough in Redcar and Cleveland:
- Anyone sleeping rough should be advised to contact the Council's Housing Advice & Information Service to find out what help is available for them.
- We will do all we can to help anyone sleeping rough find accommodation and get appropriate support. This includes advice and help to find accommodation in the private rented sector and direct access places.
- Direct Access and single person accommodation within Redcar & Cleveland is limited. Although we may not be able to provide accommodation immediately we will give advice, information & support to help find accommodation.
- The Council is not under a legal duty to provide emergency accommodation for everyone who is sleeping rough. Its accommodating responsibilities are limited to homeless people with dependant children or those who are expecting a child; to homeless 16 & 17 year olds and others who are considered on an individual basis to be vulnerable. We will however do our utmost to help all who contact us for help & assistance.
- In the event of severe weather conditions (where the temperature has been below 0 degrees Celsius for 3 consecutive days), emergency temporary accommodation can be arranged for anyone sleeping rough until the weather improves. Whilst in the accommodation, support will be provided to help obtain more permanent accommodation.
No Second Night Out
Within Redcar & Cleveland there are currently no dedicated outreach support services for rough sleepers This reflects the low number of rough sleepers within the borough at anyone time. It is proposed that Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council will work towards the development of services reflecting the five principles of No Second Night Out (NSNO), responding to the needs of rough sleepers when they are reported to the local authority.
This will include verification of reports of rough sleeping, investigation into the circumstances that led to rough sleeping and officers will try and find a solution for each rough sleeper. This work will include referral to other support and specialist services who may be required to break the cycle of rough sleeping.
If you need any further information about rough sleeping in Redcar and Cleveland please contact the Housing Services team on 01287 612444 or contact them by email