Sign In

​​​​Odour and Dust Pollution

Odour and dust can arise from a number of sources such as construction sites, restaurants, industrial sites and agricultural land. 

Commercial Extraction Systems
Odours from commercial kitchen extraction systems can arise as a result of poorly designed, installed and maintained systems. The Environmental Protection Team aims to control odours from food premises during the planning process by recommending the inclusion of conditions to control filtration and discharge at a suitable height.

Further advice regarding the installation of extraction systems can be obtained by contacting the Team.

Land Spreading
The application of fertiliser and land conditioners to agricultural land is a recognised farming practice. This process will produce odours lasting only a short time. The Environmental Protection Team receives notifications from land conditioner suppliers detailing where and when spreading will occur.

Construction Sites
Dust from construction sites may be restricted by conditions placed on granted planning permission and it would be worthwhile contacting the Planning Department to discuss this.

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, the Environmental Protection Team has a duty to investigate complaints of odour and dust.

We can only investigate complaints of odour arising from industrial, trade or business premises.  

The law does not allow for action to be taken against odours that arise from residential properties, such as cooking or cigarette smoke. 

How we investigate
When officers investigate odour and dust complaints they must determine how unreasonable the complaint is to the average person.

We will require you to complete a diary detailing how and when you are affected by the odour or dust.

We will contact the person causing the situation to make them aware a complaint has been received and where possible, provide advice on control measures.

Officers can make visits to monitor the dust or odour being experienced.

If it is determined that a statutory nuisance exists, there are a number of legal powers available to resolve the problem, including service of an enforcement notice and prosecution.

Taking private action
You are able to take your own private action if you are affected by the existence of a nuisance. This would be to the Magistrates’ Court, where an Order could be granted requiring the abatement of the nuisance and a fine may also be issued. 

The Environmental Protection Team is available to provide advice on odour and dust control measures for both residential and commercial premises. 
Odour Pollution Leaflet.pdf

​Contact Information
If you would like further information please contact the Environmental Protection Team by email or call (01642) 774774

Our service hours are Monday to Thursday 09:00 till 17:00, and Friday 09:00 till 16:30.


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links