Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Resident > Council Tax & Benefits > Welfare Reform > Personal Independence Payments

​​Personal Independence Payments

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) started to be phased out in April 2013. A new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) has been introduced for disabled people aged 16-64 years of age. PIP aims to help people meet their care and mobility needs.​​

What is changing?

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) has been replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP) for people aged 16 to 64. This is initially just for new claims only. There are no plans to change DLA for children under 16 years old and adults aged 65 or over.

PIP will include an assessment of your individual needs and may help​ with some of the extra costs caused by ill-health or disability. It is based on how your condition affects you, not the condition you have.

What are you entitled to?

Payments are made up of a daily living component and a mobility component. You could get money for one or both parts, at either a standard or enhanced rate. The benefit is not means tested or taxed.

The rates are:

  • Mobility standard £21.80
  • Mobility enhanced £57.45
  • Daily living component standard £55.10
  • Daily living component enhanced £82.30

How is PIP assessed?

PIP is based on an assessment of your individual needs. It focuses on your ability to carry out a range of key activities necessary to everyday life. Information will be gathered from you, as well as healthcare and other professionals who work with you and support you. Most people will also be asked to have a face-to-face consultation with a trained independent assessor as part of the claim process.

Who is affected?

If you already receive Disability Living Allowance and are aged between 16 and 64 you will need to apply for the new Personal Independence Payment. The Department for Wor​k and Pensions is getting in touch with people with life or indefinite awards from October 2015.

Anyone who receives a fixed term award of DLA after October 2013 will have to claim PIP.

There is no automatic transfer from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment.​​​

Visit the website for more information about Personal Independence Payments (PIP)​.


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links