Council Tax FAQs
What is the Adult Social Care charge on my bill?
- In 2015 the government created legilsation allowing local authorities to make an addtional council tax charge to cover the cost of providing adult social care. This increase is allowable during the period 2017/18 to 2019/20 and cannot exceed a total of 6% in that period. In 2017/18 Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council made a decision to increase council tax by 2% per year for 3 years with 2019/20 being the last year of increase. The charge must be shown as a separate charge on all council tax bills and must be shown as a cumulative amount since the charge began. The amount collected for Adult Social Care must be spent on those services and cannot be spent on other services.
Why have the Police and Fire Service charges increased?
A leaflet explaining why the police charge has increased is included with the council tax bill.
Is my Direct Debit still set up?
- At the bottom of the bill, under the instalments it will say what payment plan you are on. If you have paid by direct debit previously, your direct debit will still be set up.
How many months is my bill over?
- The instalments will show at the bottom of your bill. They are usually spread over 10 months between April and January.
Can I pay my bill over 12 months?
- You can request for the bill to be paid over 12 months. You can ask at any time for your instalments to be extended to the end of March 2020.
When is my first payment due?
- The payment plan will show at the bottom of the bill.
Do I need to make a new claim or will my Council Tax Support go onto my new bill?
- If your claim is still active and you have had no changes in your circumstances, then the Council Tax Support will automatically be applied to your new bill.
My Direct Debit is on the 25th of each month, when will my payments end?
- If the Direct Debit is set up for the first payment to be made in April, and you have not extended your instalments, then your last payment will be in January 2020.
Can I extend my payments until March if I pay weekly by cash?
- Cash instalments are weekly for a maximum of 48 weeks with effect from 1st April 2018.
I did not receive a Single Persons Discount form?
- If you already receive a Single Person Discount this will have been included on your current bill.
Can I change my method of payment to Direct Debit?
- We can set a direct debit up over the phone or we can send out a direct debit mandate for you.