Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Resident > Council Tax & Benefits > Universal Credit > What do I need to make a claim

​​​What do I need to make a claim?

​Before you make your claim, you should make sure you have the following information:

  • your (and your partner's) National Insurance number
  • your postcode
  • your landlord's name and address
  • your eligible rent if you are living in social housing - this can be different from your full rent (make sure to check with your landlord so you get paid the right amount of Universal Credit)
  • details of any children / relatives / friends who live with you - including their name, date of birth, age and income
  • account details of where you want your Universal Credit to be paid - account number and sort code
  • details of any savings
  • if working - your expected monthly wage
  • details of any other income you receive
  • your own email address and mobile phone number​​

Help to claim

The Department for Work and Pensions has contracted Citizens Advice to help residents in making their claims for Universal Credit. For assistance ring the national helpline number:  0800 144 8 444


For webchat assistance visit the link below.  Wait for the blue bar to appear at the bottom right of the screen saying 'talk to an advisor', then click on the blue bar and start your web chat.​

If you need any further information please contact the DWP's Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644​ for more support.​


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links