Sign In

​​Tell Us Once​​​​

When someone has died, we can help you tell the people who need to know.

When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting government departments and local council services that need to be told.

Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council is providing a service which we hope will make things easier. This new service means that you can just tell us and these organisations will be contacted.

How the service can help you
When someone has died, their death needs to be registered with the Registrar. Once thats done, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information.

We can help you to give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions and they can pass on this information to a number of other government departments and local council services for you.

How you can contact us to use the service
There are different ways you can use the service:

  • In person at the time of the death registration If you would like to use the service, please telephone Redcar Heart Register Office (01642) 444420 to make an appointment, we will tell you what documents you will need to bring with you. Our office is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9.00am until 4.00pm, Tuesday 9.00am until 6.00pm and Thursday 9.00am until 12.30pm
  • By telephone Once you have registered the death and would like to speak to someone on the phone, please call the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308. The lines are open Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm. This number is free to call from a BT landline, but other providers, including mobile phone providers, may charge you. If you dont speak E​nglish, call us on 0800 085 7308 and one of our Advisers and an interpreter will call you back and help you. If you are calling from Wales you will have the choice of continuing the call in Welsh.

​What happens to the information?
The following organisations can be contacted if you ask us to: 

  • Local Councils
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Libraries
  • Electoral Services
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult Services
  • Childrens Services
  • Council Housing
  • Concessionary Travel
  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • Pensions and Benefit
  • HM Revenue & Customs
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Taxation
  • H M Passport Office
  • Passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Driving Licence
  • Public Service Pension Scheme listed below
  • NHS (England and Wales) pensions, Scottish Public Pensions, (Teachers, NHS, Police or Fire), My Civil Service Pension, any Armed Forces Pension and/or Compensation Scheme administered by Veterans UK and/or any participating Local Government Pension Funds.

This list is subject to change and the most updated list is held on the bereavement website.

How we will treat the information you give us
The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially. The organisations who are contacted will use the information to update records; to end services, benefits and credits as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use this information in other ways, but only as the law allows.

Information you will need to use the service
To make sure the right information is given to any organisations we contact for you and so that you get the most out of the service it will help if you can bring along with you the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Their death certificate (after the death has been registered)
  • Their Driving Licence or Driving Licence number
  • Their Passport or Passport number and town/country of birth

We may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • Their next of kin
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate

You must obtain the permission of the persons listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

Next of Kin
If you are the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased), your entitlement to benefits may change, so please have your own National Insurance number and / or date of birth with you when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceaseds estate (the person sorting out their property, belongings and money), you can still use the service if you have their permission to provide their details and act on their behalf.

This service is committed to ensuring your information is protected. Our privacy statement tells you how we will use and protect the information you provide when you use this service. Ask the Adviser if you wish to see the full privacy statement.

Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that all organisations that pay you a benefit/credit or provide a service to you has correct and up to date information about you.

If you require any further help or advice, please do not hesitate to contact us at:

The Register Office 
Redcar & Cleveland Leisure and Community Heart
Ridley Street
Redcar. TS10 1TD
Telephone (01642) 444420


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links