Registering a Birth
Registration is by appointment only. Appointments can be made by telephoning 01642 444440. Due to the current Covid restrictions, parents are asked, where possible, to attend the appointment without children.
If your baby was born outside of Redcar & Cleveland, for example James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, we in Redcar Register Office can only take a declaration of the birth, which will be posted to Middlesbrough Register Office before you can apply for a birth certificate.
If you wish to contact Middlesbrough Register Office click here:- https://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-marriages/register-birth
What information will I need when I register a birth?
- Date and Place of Birth
- Full names and surname of baby (correct spellings of all names as this cannot be changed later)
- Baby's sex
- Baby's parents' full names and surnames and any change of names either may have had
- Baby's parents' places of birth and occupations/job
- Baby's mother's home address
- Baby's parents' date of marriage or civil partnership (if applicable)
- Number of previous children of baby's mother (if any)
How much does it cost to register a birth?
The birth registration is free of charge.
From 1st November 2017 a free short birth certificate will no longer be issued. A full certified copy of the birth certificate is available at a fee of £11.00.