Converting a Civil Marriage or Civil Partnership into Marriage - contact 01642 444440
Will I need to go through a marriage ceremony?
The conversion process will not be a marriage ceremony. It is changing an existing legal relationship rather than forming a new one.
You will need to attend in person at any local authority register office for an appointment with a superintendent registrar in their office.
- You will be required to provide evidence of your identity and your original civil partnership registration.
- You will be required to sign a declaration to confirm that you have not dissolved your civil partnership, and that you both wish to convert the civil partnership into a marriage.
- The conversion will be registered and a certificate issued.
- Following the signing of the declaration, if you wish to, you will be able to have a non-statutory ceremony/celebration in a location of your choice. Please contact the Register Office for further information on the current fees and approved premise venues.
How much will it cost to convert?
The following fees will apply for the conversion process:
- No fee is payable if you registered your civil partnership before you had the opportunity to marry prior to 29th March 2014. This will apply from 10 December 2014 to 9 December 2015.
- If you registered your civil partnership after 29 March 2014, or register one in the future and subsequently want to convert to a marriage, the full fee of £45.00* will be required (and ceremony fee if requested).
- From 10 December 2015, all same sex couples will be required to pay the full fee for the conversion (and ceremony fee if requested), including those who registered civil partnerships before 29 March 2014.
*The full fee for the conversion at a register office is £45. Please note the fee of £45 only applies to the register office conversion. Separate fees will apply to conversions in exceptional circumstances.
For further information or if you wish to book a date please contact the Register Office:
The Register Office,
Redcar & Cleveland Leisure and Community Heart,
Tel: (01642) 444440