Free Early Years Provision for 3 & 4 year olds
What is my child entitled to?
All eligible 3 and 4 year olds are entitled to 15 hours of free early years provision per week for 38 weeks per year (570 hours per year).
When can my child have a free place?
|A child born in the period||Will become eligible for a free place|
|1st April and 31st August|
1st September following child's 3rd birthday (Autumn school term)
|1st September and 31st December|
1st January following child's 3rd birthday (Spring school term)
1st January and 31st March
|1st April following child's 3rd birthday (Summer school term)|
How can my child take their free place?
Local Flexible Offer
Redcar & Cleveland local authority is able to offer parents and carers their free entitlement in the following ways:
- 3 hours a day for 5 days a week
- 5 hours a day for 3 days a week
- 15 hours flexibly over a minimum of 2 days a week
Options 2 and 3 may only be available in a private or voluntary early years settings (day nursery, pre-school group or with a registered childminder). The local authority will support parents/carers to access the free place for their child and offer advice and guidance on flexibility.
Where can my child have a free place?
Your child can have their free place at a range of early years settings. These are school nursery classes, day nurseries, pre-school groups and registered childminders.
The day nurseries, pre-school groups and childminders currently approved to offer free places in Redcar & Cleveland are listed below.
- Cheeky Monkees Day Nursery Marske Tel (01642) 775587
- Guisborough Day Nursery Tel (01287) 635111
- Guisborough Montessori Pre-School Tel (01287) 639401
- Little Waves Daycare Redcar Tel (01642) 490014
- Nunthorpe Early Years Centre Tel (01642) 322580
- Redcar Sunny Days Playgroup Tel (01642) 484404
- Rosedene Nursery Ormesby Tel (01642) 300629
- Rosedene Nursery Saltburn Tel (01287) 626180
- Sunshine Day Nursery Redcar Tel (01642) 486803
- Dots 'N Spots Day Nursery Skelton Tel (01287) 654930
- The Priory Day Nursery Grangetown Tel (01642) 453779
- Tiny Turner's Day Nursery, Wilton Village Tel (01642) 463647
- Top Tots Daycare, South Bank Tel (01642) 456277
- Puzzles Daycare, Guisborough Tel (01287) 200261
- Childminders - via Families' Information Service on Tel 0800 073 8800
- Bow Street Nursery Guisborough Tel (01287) 205303
- Cloud 9 Community Day Care South Bank Tel (01642) 455899
- Nanny Bears Brotton Tel (01287) 679899
- Redlands Redcar Tel (01642) 485662
- Tiger Tots Grangetown Tel 07845188817
Will these early years settings offer good quality free places?
As well as being registered with Ofsted and approved by the local authority, the day nurseries, pre-school groups and childminders must comply with the requirements of the Department for Education code of practice on the delivery of free early years provision for 3 & 4 year olds.
Members of the Early Years Support Team offer support, advice and guidance to the approved providers on the Early Years Foundation Stage.
How does my child get a free place?
School Nursery Class
Contact your chosen school directly to enquire if a place is available and when your child can start. Some school nursery classes may be able to offer a free place earlier, soon after a childs third birthday. The free place will continue until your child starts full time school (Reception class).
Parents of children who are admitted to school nursery classes must still apply for a place at the school if they want their child to transfer to the Reception class. Attendance at a school nursery class does not guarantee admission to the school. If you need help applying for a Primary School place, please contact the School Choice Adviser.
Day Nursery, Pre-School Group or Network Childminder
If your child is already attending a local authority approved private day nursery, pre-school group or registered childminder, ask the manager or childminder for a Free 3 & 4 year old Place application form.
In all other cases, contact the Families Information Service on 0800 073 8800 to request a Free Early Years Provision information pack. This will contain an application form and guidance notes.