30 Hours Extended Entitlement for 3 and 4 Year Olds
From September 2017 the current 15 hours free entitlement per week for three and four year olds is extending to 30 hours per week for some working parents.
Families in Redcar & Cleveland who meet the eligibility criteria will be entitled to an additional 15 hours.
Parents who meet the criteria will receive a total of 1,140 funded hours across the year.
Am I Eligible?
The national eligibility criteria which parents must meet are:
- If a two parent household; both parents must earn equivalent of 16 hours at minimum wage. Earning cap of £100,000 per individual.
- If lone parent household parent must earn equivalent of 16 hours at minimum wage. Earning cap of £100,000 per individual.
- If one parent is employed; and the other has substantial caring responsibilities or is disabled or incapacitated (based on specific benefits)
- If one parent is temporarily on parental, maternity adoption leave or on statuary sick pay.
- A parent means a person who has parental responsibility for the child or care of the child.
- In cases where a parent has remarried or is living with a partner, the step-parent or partner must also meet the criteria.
Foster carers may be eligible for the extended entitlement for children they foster but must meet the eligibilityty criteria above.
How Can I use my extended hours?
You can use your 30 hours over 38 weeks per year, or stretched over more weeks e.g. 22.8 hours per week over 50 weeks per year.
You may be able to use your hours between 6am and 8pm at some providers.
You can use your entitlement with more than one provider if this meets your needs eg school and childminder, childminder and day nursery or breakfast and afterschool club.
Any additional hours you may wish to use on top of the 30 hours will be charged at the individual provider rates which will vary.
You can find further information about Childcare by visiting the Childcare Calculator or Childcare Support pages on the gov.uk website.
If you have any questions or queries, please get in touch with our Families Information Service team.