Sign In

​​​​Sensory Support

Sight Impaired or Severely Sight Impaired

To register as visually impaired an examination must be carried out by an Ophthalmologist or suitably qualified medical practitioner. Following examination you may be advised that you can be registered Severely Sight Impaired [Blind] or Sight Impaired [Partially Sighted]. Registration does no​t mean that you are totally without sight. The eye specialist will ask you to sign a consent form [A Certificate of Visual Impairment] giving him your permission to inform the Social Services Department of your eye condition. The visual impairment register is held by Social Services.

You do not have to be registered if you do not wish to. However, registration gives you entitlement to certain benefits and concessions. If you do not want a visit from a social worker you can still be included on the register. If you want to discuss your needs or available services, you can request a sensory support assessment by calling the Adult Care Access Team on 01642 771500​.

Hearing Impaired or Deaf
​People who are profoundly deaf, severely deaf or without speech can apply for concessionary bus passes. Your bus pass can be used to travel in the Boroughs of Redcar & Cleveland, Stockton and Middlesbrough. You are not allowed to use Dial-a-Ride if you join the Concessionary Bus Pass Scheme. If you live in Redcar & Cleveland please go to your nearest library. The staff at the library will give you an application form and they will help you apply. If you have any questions ask the staff at the library to explain and take with you:

  • Proof of address [recent utility bill / recent bank statement / recent prescription]
  • Proof of deafness [your registration card from social services] or a form will need to be completed by your doctor

Useful links
Peoples Information Network (PIN)
Teesside and District Society for the Blind 
Royal National Institute for the Blind Customer Service Department 
Partially Sighted Society 

Useful links for Sight Impaired or Severely Sight Impaired
Royal National Institute for the Blind
Albinism Fellowship
British Retinitis Pigmentosa Society
British Computer Association of the Blind
Calibre Talking Book Service
Deafblind UK
Disability Pregnancy and Parenthood International
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Henshaws Society for the Blind
International Glaucoma Association (IGA)
Look - The National Federation of Families with Visually Impaired Children
Macular Disease Society

National Federation of the Blind
National Childbirth Trust
Royal National Institute for the Blind
RNIB Regional Centre - Training and Support in Employment or Education
Talking Newspaper Association of the United Kingdom
Teesside and District Society for the Blind
Vision Aid

Useful links for Hearing Impaired or Deaf
British Deaf Association
Deafblind UK
Hearing Link
Menieres Society
The British Tinnitus Association
The National Deaf Children's Society
Action on Hearing Loss


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links