Sensory Support - Services for People who are Hearing Impaired or Deaf

Social Work Surgeries

A social Work Surgery is held at Middlesbrough Deaf Centre. This can be used by anyone who is deaf or hard of hearing who wishes to see a Social Worker. The surgeries are also a good opportunity to meet other deaf or hard of hearing people socially.

Asian Ladies Sign Class
Monday 12:30 - 2:30
Hearing ladies with deaf relatives learning to sign

Sign & Social
Tuesday 10am - 2pm
Meet other people with a hearing loss for a coffee and chat.

Deaf Blind Befriending Group
Tuesday 10am - 2pm (Fourth Tuesday of the month only)
Meet other people who have both a visual and hearing loss, and their family members/carers.

Lip Reading Class
Thursday 9:30 - 11:30am
Class with a free trial delivered by Lip Reading Tutor

55+ Group
Thursday 12 - 3:30pm
A social group for older people who are Deaf

Hear to Meet
Friday 1 -3pm (Second Friday of the month only)
Befriending group for people who are hard of hearing - coffee and chat.

Bus Passes

People who are profoundly deaf, severely deaf or without speech can apply for concessionary bus passes. Your bus pass can be used to travel in the Boroughs of Redcar & Cleveland, Stockton and Middlesbrough. You are not allowed to use Dial-a-Ride if you join the Concessionary Bus Pass Scheme. If you live in Redcar & Cleveland please go to your nearest library. The staff at the library will give you an application form and they will help you apply. If you have any questions ask the staff at the library to explain and take with you:

  • Proof of address [recent utility bill / recent bank statement / recent prescription]
  • Proof of deafness [your registration card from social services] or a form will need to be completed by your doctor

About British Sign Language Interpreters

If you need to use a British Sign Language interpreter Social Services can provide one based on circumstances or show you how to book one yourself.

Who needs a sign language interpreter?
Both parties hearing and deaf people have equal need for an interpreter as those who are not

What is the difference between an interpreter and a social worker?
An interpreter will translate the information and is bound by their code of ethics not to give an opinion or advice. A social worker will intervene if necessary, give choices and actively assist if there is a need to follow up information as part of a care plan.

Who pays for the interpreter?
It depends on why you want the interpreter and where you want interpreting services. Deaf people who need communication support usually do not have to pay, but it is advisable to check this before booking. The disability discrimination act 1995 may require a service provider [e.g. Hospital, GP] to provide an interpreter.

When should an interpreter be arranged?
With all interpretation services please give as much notice as possible.

Further Information
Please contact the Sensory Support Team for further advice or fact sheets from Action on Hearing Loss, our staff will be happy to give assistance to people requiring an interpreter.

Deaf Centres/Social Activities
Deaf Centre, Derwent Road, North Ormesby, Middlesbrough TS3 6JB
Telephone: 01642 819782 [voice/text/fax]
01642 820059 [voice/text]

Activities include:

  • Deaf Pensioners Club
  • Hard of Hearing Club
  • Drop-in Club
  • Lip reading classes
  • British Sign Language classes
  • Asian Ladies Group
  • Social Work Surgeries
  • Youth club
  • Child Project
Classes are funded by further education

Sign Language and Lip Reading Classes

Sign Language and Lip-reading classes are provided by your Local Council Adult Education Services. Refer to the adult education prospectuses available in local libraries before the start of each academic year. Fee concessions or free courses may be available for deaf people and members of their families. For further information contact:

Redcar Academy
Cotswold Drive
TS10 4AB

Tel: 01642 490409
Fax: 01642 492388


Hearing Aid Repairs and Battery Supply Services

Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK
No Tags have been submitted for this page. Why not submit one?
What is a Tag?

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Adult, Children & Health

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search
Sensory Support - Services for People who are Sight Impaired or Severely Sight Impaired
Sensory Support - National Organisations and Support Services
Contacting the Sensory Support Team
Contacting the Sensory Support Team