Housing advice

How we help people who are, or are at risk of, becoming homeless

What support is available

We offer support and help whether you're homeless or worried about becoming homeless.

We'll give you advice based on your own circumstances to either help you stay in your current home, or find a different one.


Contact us on 01287 612444 as soon as you find yourself at risk of becoming homeless; we may be able to prevent this.

You can contact the out of hours service by telephoning Beyond Housing on 0345 065 5656.

Homelessness and homelessness prevention

A person is threatened with homelessness if they: 

If you are threatened with homelessness and are eligible for help, we can help you prevent that.

A person could become homeless if they: 

  • Have no home in the UK or elsewhere that they have a legal right to occupy
  • Have a movable home such as a boat or caravan and there is nowhere it can be placed lawfully
  • Are at risk from harm if they stay in their current home. 

If you're homeless, we will look at whether you have local connections in the area such as: 

  • How long you have lived in our area
  • If you are employed in our area
  • If you have close family in our area and how long they have lived in the area
  • Other special circumstances. 

We will talk to you about your circumstances to help us understand your situation and how we can support you. 

We'll fill in a Personal Housing Support Plan (PHSP) with you and agree on your next steps and the support you need from us. During your application process, we will keep you up to date with what we are doing. You will also need to contact us regularly and let us know any changes in your situation. 

Social housing

If you wish to apply for social housing, you will need to join Tees Valley Homefinder. By registering, you can search for available homes and bid for your preferred houses. 

You can join Tees Valley Homefinder at https://teesvalleyhomefinder.org/ang/public/landing

For assistance with an application call Beyond Housing at 0345 0655656. 

Rough sleeping

As part of our No Second Night Out policy, we will verify any reports of rough sleepers, investigate their situations and find solutions for them.

If you are sleeping rough or have seen or suspect someone is sleeping rough, please visit Streetlink to send an alert or call us on 01287 612444 for advice, help and support.

Prison release

If you're in prison or youth detention and will have no home when you are released, we can assess your need and will work with you and other professionals to help find you a home. 

It is important for you to get in touch as soon as possible to give time for an assessment. This will provide time for us to search for housing options and find you accommodation.

Care leavers

If you’ve been in Our Care, there are a range of services available to help you. This can include help to get accommodation and support. 

If you’ve been in care and are about to become homeless, or you are homeless and need more help, please contact us on 01287 612444. 

16 and 17-year-olds

If you are 16 or 17 years old and are either homeless or threatened with homelessness, we will complete a joint assessment with Children's Services.

This assessment will include discussing your circumstances and any support you will need to prevent you becoming homeless and assisting you in returning home if possible. 

You can call us on 01287 612444. You can also call the South Tees Multi-Agency Children’s Hub on 01642 130700 or by contacting the team by email.

Armed Forces

Riverside Housing operates a housing advice and placement service for armed forces veterans named SPACES (Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services). They can help veterans to secure accommodation and provide a number of specialist veterans' support accommodation centres.

For more information, visit the Riverside Housing website: Veterans services - Riverside Group

If you need any further help, please contact us directly. 

Domestic abuse and where to access support

If you are a victim of domestic abuse, you can find more information about how to find and access support online.

Hospital discharge 

If you are in hospital and will be unable to return home because of your heath, it may be possible for your home to be adapted to help you stay there. You would need a discharge assessment and you will be referred by the ward to a social worker.

If you have no place to return when you are discharged from hospital, we can assess your housing and support needs and work with you, and any professionals, to ensure accommodation is available for you when you are well enough to leave hospital.

It is important to make contact as soon as possible to allow time for assessments to be completed and accommodation to be identified. 

Duty to refer

A number of public bodies have a duty to refer to us people who are homeless or who are likely to become homeless within 56 days.  

The public bodies who have a duty to refer are: 

  • Prisons 
  • Youth offender institutions
  • Secure training centres
  • Secure colleges
  • Youth offending teams
  • Probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
  • Job Centre Plus
  • Social service authorities
  • Emergency departments
  • Urgent treatment centres
  • Hospitals (in their function of providing in-patient care) 

Whilst your agency might not be listed, we would still accept a referral through this route. 

People you can refer

You can refer any customer/service user you've identified as being either homeless or threatened with homelessness. 

Ways to identify a family, couple or individual eligible for referral

Identifying that a family, couple or individual is threatened with homelessness is less straight forward. You should ask them about their situations if they meet one of the factors that could indicate homelessness:

  • Problems with debt, particularly rent or mortgage arrears
  • Problems with a landlord, being threatened with eviction or served notice to leave 
  • Being a victim of domestic abuse, or other forms of violence, threats, or intimidation
  • Approaching discharge from hospital, the armed forces, or release from custody, with no accommodation available to them
  • Having previously been in care, the armed forces or in prison

The customer/service user must give their consent to be referred. If they don't have any connections in our borough, they can be referred to a council in an area where they know somebody.

Make a referral

When we receive a referral, we will contact the individual and carry out an assessment. If we believe they may be at risk of becoming homeless we will continue with a homelessness application. 

If you are in any doubt, or if your customer/service user needs urgent housing assistance, please call us on 01287 612444.