Kirkleatham Estate Development Project - The Walled Garden, Catering and Horticultural Academies
The Walled Garden, Catering and Horticultural Academies
This £4.3m project is at the forefront of our current activity. It will bring the grade II-listed historic Walled Garden back into use after 30 years; creating a mix of formal and produce gardens, events spaces, food and retail opportunities. It will provide a major attraction in the north-east that supports our visitor economy, employment and provides training opportunities in the catering, hospitality and horticulture sectors. It will create:
- Attractive gardens inspired by the significant heritage of the site;
- A high quality restaurant, retail unit and events pavilion attracting a broad range of visitors and providing training opportunities for those within the borough and beyond;
- A horticultural academy supporting the growing and management of the gardens and of produce for local consumption and sale;
- Opportunities for residents of all ages to improve their skills, qualifications and experience, with a particular focus on engaging young people and those from disadvantaged groups.
- A car park and road link to serve both the needs of this facility and improve traffic capacity and management across the whole Estate is being constructed in tandem;
Linked to this is the restoration of the Council's former Kirkleatham nurseries, which will provide a training facility, offering access to employment opportunities for young people, with dedicated horticulture training areas and classrooms for a range of training.
Funding for the project has been secured from the Coastal Communities Fund, the Combined Authority and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Building work on the Walled Garden is due to begin in May 2018, with the facility due to open its doors in Summer 2019.
Plans of the gardens and buildings can be viewed in the attachments below:
RIBA4 Impression of Main Building Entrance.pdf
Coloured Zonal Plan draft RIBA4.pdf
Sketch Impression of Final Garden Designs.pdf
The Walled Garden and Infrastructure Project Update for the Kirkleatham Residents Liasion Group is available below:
Kirkleatham Residents Group 02.07.18.ppt