Why we are doing this
The Redcar Leisure and Community Heart is a £31m development opened in March 2014 with sports and leisure centre, swimming pools, civic facilities, business centre, and multi-functional meeting and community spaces that provides an all weather attraction for Redcar residents and visitors to the town.
This development in the heart of the town centre, provides a focal point and much needed facility for local communities and visitors.
This is what you will see
The development brings first class facilities to the town including:
- a new 6 lane, 25 metre swimming pool, training and leisure pool
- dance hall and performance space
- fitness site and junior gym
- sports hall
- business space for small to medium sized enterprises
- flexible community facilities including a debating chamber and relocated register services
- improved and additional car parking
- landscaped public space
- a business centre, which will offer space to people who wish to develop new business ideas, creating new companies and job opportunities
- a civic space where Council business can take place including the Council Chamber and the Registry
- spaces within the complex will provide opportunities for performances and dance groups.
Redcar Leisure and Community Heart is part financed by the Competitiveness Programme European Regional Development Fund Programme 2007 to 2013. The Department for Communities and Local Government is the managing authority for the European Development Fund Programme, which is one of the funds established by the European Commission to help local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support local businesses and create jobs.