Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Business > Licensing > Licensing A-Z > Temporary Road Closure

​​​Temporary Road Closure

Licence Summary 
Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council can make a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) when it is necessary to prohibit or control traffic and pedestrians along the highway. TTROs can be applied to roads, footways or public rights of way. 

Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council can make a TTRO to cover planned situations, or issue an Urgent Notice if regulation is needed without delay and retrospectively for emergency situations. TTROs are normally used to allow essential or emergency works to be carried out on the highway, typically installation of, or maintenance works to, services such as gas, electricity, water, events etc. 

The process of arranging a TTRO requires that an application be made to Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council for approval. Once the Order has been approved and made enforceable it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all the correct traffic management systems are in place.

Eligibility Criteria
TTROs can be made by Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council when it is necessary to prohibit or control vehicular and / or pedestrian traffic along a highway because of planned works on or near the road.

Regulation Summary 

Application Evaluation Process 
Applicants must take steps to ensure that:
  • Sufficient consultation been carried out with Emergency Services, Public Transport Services and other stakeholders
  • A valid signed diversion route been supplied to enable road closure

Contact the Street Co-ordinator for further information using the contact details below.

There is a charge associated with the TTRO of £260.00 admin fee plus the cost of two adverts in the press. The cost of the adverts vary and we recharge the costumer the actual cost.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? 
No. The full legal process must be carried out before a road closure comes in force and the promoter is notified when the order comes into affect. 

Apply Online 
We aim to acknowledge applications within three working days. If you made your application online we will acknowledge it via email.

Failed Application Redress and Licence Holder Redress
Please contact the Traffic Manager / Streetworks Co-ordinator, Engineering Section, Operations Division in the first instance using the contact details below.

Consumer Complaint
We would always advise that in the event o​f complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Licensing registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Council Offices. For further information please visit the Licensing Public Regsiter page.

Contact Details
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Regeneration Directorate
Belmont House
Rectory Lane
TS14 7FD

Tel: 01287 612579 


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links