Street Trading Consent
The sale of goods from streets within the borough of Redcar & Cleveland requires a prior consent to do so. All streets in this Borough are designated as consent streets except for major arterial routes through the Borough, which are prohibited streets (the list is shown below). No trading can take place on consent streets unless a permit has been granted, and then only in accordance with any conditions attached.
Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council will not allow trading at all on prohibited streets/roads.
A street trading consent may be granted for any period not exceeding 12 months but may be revoked at ant time.
You must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence.
A street trading consent (except in Redcar Pedestrianised Area) will cost £250 per year.
The fees for trading in the Redcar Pedestrianised area will vary and there is also a waiting list for this area - please contact us for further details before applying using the contact details below. There is a fee of £67 for single days if you require a temporary time-limited consent.
Application Evaluation Process
- Following consultation with our Highways Section, Town Centres Manager and Food Safety Team, the Council's Licensing Committee will convene to determine the application.
- Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council is under no duty to grant a street trading consent and need not specify statutory grounds for refusal.
- There is no statutory limitation on Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council's power to revoke or refuse to renew a street trading consent.
- When granting or renewing a street trading consent, Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council may attach such conditions to it as they consider reasonably necessary.
- When granting or renewing a street trading consent Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council may attach such conditions to prevent the obstruction of the street or danger to persons using it, or nuisance or annoyance (whether to persons using the street or otherwise).
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details below.
How to Apply
We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via email. You have the option of applying online or by downloading an application form.
Download an Application Form
If you would prefer to download an application form, please download the document below and return it to us using the contact details below.
Failed Application Redress and Licence Holder Redress
Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.
There is no right of appeal against the refusal to grant or renew a consent or against the revocation of variation of a consent.
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct
will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre
Please find below the list of Prohibited Streets in Redcar and Cleveland.
Licensing registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Council Offices. For more information, please visit the Licenisng Public Register
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Neighbourhoods and Customer Services
Licensing & Parking
Redcar & Cleveland House
TS10 1RT Tel: 01642 774774