Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Business > Licensing > Licensing A-Z > Skip Permits

​​​​Skip Permits

Licence Summary 
If you intend to place a builders skip on any part of the adopted highway in Redcar and Cleveland, you require a licence from Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council. An adopted highway is defined as a road, grass verge or footway.

Eligibility Criteria
If you would like to place a skip on the highway, you should speak to a skip hire company who will apply for a licence on your behalf. A skip operator who wishes to place a skip on a highway maintained by Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council at public expense, must have current Public Liability Insurance of at least £5 million.

Regulation Summary 

Application Evaluation Process 
A minimum of 3 working days advance notice must be given, except in cases of emergency. 
Permission may be granted subject to conditions which may relate to the following: 
  • Siting the skip
  • Skip dimensions
  • Making skips visible to traffic
  • Care and disposal of skip contents
  • Lighting and guarding of skips
  • Skip removal
  • Public Liability Insurance

The fee for issuing a skip licence is £22.00 per week (flat rate for first and subsequent weeks). Fees incurred will be invoiced on a monthly basis.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? 
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 21 days.

How to Apply 
We aim to acknowledge your application form within three working days.

Online Application

Download an Application Form
If you would prefer to download an application form, please download the document below and return it to us using the contact details at the bottom of this page.
Application for a Skip Licence.pdf

Failed Application Redress and Licence Holder Redress
Please contact the Traffic Manager / Streetworks Co-ordinator, Engineering Section, Operations Division in the first instance using the contact details below.

​Consumer Complaint
We would always advise that in the event of complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations

Licensing registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Council Offices. Please visit the Licensing Public Register page for further information.

Contact Details

Directorate of Growth, Enterprise & Environment,


Redcar & Cleveland House,

Kirkleatham Street,


TS10 1RT.

Tel: 01287 612594




Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links