Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Business > Licensing > Licensing A-Z > Portable Traffic Lights

​​​​​Portable Traffic Lights

Licence Summary 
If you erect temporary Traffic Signals on the Public Highway in Redcar and Cleveland to facilitate roadworks you must ask for permission from Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council. 

Eligibility Criteria
Any temporary Traffic Signal on the Public Highway requires permission. If you have any doubts if permission is required. Contact the Streetworks Coordinator 01287 612579

Regulation Summary 

Application Evaluation Process
Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following:
  • All portable light signal equipment must conform to the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions Regulation 35
  • It is the responsibility of the promoter to arrange in advance with the relevant highway authority the adjustment or suspension of permanent traffic signals, pedestrian crossings, bus lanes or bus stops, controlled parking, Traffic Regulation Orders etc.
  • If they are the most suitable form of traffic management.
  • The signals do not cause a conflict with diversion routes or other works traffic management and will be considered as part of the co-ordination of roadworks.

Will Tacit Consent Apply? 

Although placement of portable light signals for categories of work of Emergency, Urgent, Special Cases of Urgent and Remedial Dangerous does require formal authorisation, these applications will follow an agreed fast-track process. 
Arrangements for fast track authorisations must be established in advance with Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council, including relevant out of hours contact numbers and procedures Full retrospective applications for Formal Authorisation for any fast-track applications must be received by Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council in accordance with our out of hours procedures or by 10:00 the next working day, whichever is the sooner.

How to Apply 
We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via email.

Apply Online

Download an Application Form
If you would prefer to download an application form, please download the document below and return to us using the contact details at the bottom of the page.
Failed Application Redress
Please contact the Traffic Manager / Streetworks Co-ordinator, Engineering Section, Operations Division in the first instance using the contact details below.

Licence Holder Redress
Please contact the Traffic Manager / Streetworks Co-ordinator, Engineering Section, Operations Division in the first instance using the contact details below.

Consumer Complaint
We would always advise that in the event of complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.  From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Licensing registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Council Offices. Please click here for further details.

Contact Details
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Area Management Directorate
Operations Division
Engineering Section
Belmont House
Rectory Lane
TS14 7FD
Tel: 01287 612579 


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links