Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Business > Licensing > Licensing A-Z > Petroleum Storage

​​​Petroleum Licence

Licence Summary
To run a business in Redcar and Cleveland where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use you must be licensed by Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council.

Small quantities of petroleum spirit for sale or for personal use do not require a licence providing such amounts are kept in separate glass, earthenware or metal vessels securely stopped and containing not more than 570 millilitres each and the total amount kept would not exceed 15 litres. 

Conditions may be attached to a licence.

Regulation Summary

Application Evaluation Process
Redcar & Cleveland Council will consult with other relevant bodies before considering this application.

The application must be accompanied with the appropriate fee:
  • Up to 2,500 litres - £42.00
  • From 2,500 to 50,000 litres - £58.00
  • Exceeding 50,000 litres - £120.00
  • Transfer of licence - £8.00

Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days, please contact us using the contact details below.

How to Apply
We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days. If you have applied online we will acknowledge your application via email. 

You have the option of applying online or by downloading an application form. 

Online Application

Download an Application Form
If you prefer to download an application form, please download the document below and return it to us using the contact details at the bottom of this page:

Failed Application Redress
Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.
If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Licence Holder Redress
Please contact us in the first instance using the contact details below.

Consumer Complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations

Licensing registers are available to view, by prior arrangement, at the Council Offices. For more information please visit the Licensing Public Register page.

Contact Details
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Neighbourhoods and Customer Services
Licensing & Parking
Redcar & Cleveland House
Kirkleatham Street
TS10 1RT Tel: 01642 774774


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links