Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Business > Licensing > Personal Licences

​​​Personal Licence

Premises that are licensed to sell alcohol must have a designated premises supervisor, who holds a personal licence. The one exception is a community premises that has successfully applied to waive the DPS requirement under section 41D of the act.

You are not required to have a personal licence to be employed in a pub or other business that sells alcohol.  Anyone who does not hold a personal licence must be authorised to sell alcohol by a personal licence holder. There is no such requirement for the supply of alcohol in a members' club.

Who can apply

In order to apply, you must be aged 18 years or over, and (in almost all cases) hold a relevant licensing qualification - for example, the BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders or a similar accredited qualification.

If you are applying for a personal licence, you must obtain an accredited qualification first. The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol. Personal licence qualification providers are accredited by the Home Secretary.

List of accredited personal licence qualification providers can be found using the link below:


DBS Check

You will also need to provide details of any relevant criminal convictions.  These may impact on whether or not you're found to be suitable as a licensee. You will also need to provide a basic criminal conviction disclosure form.  This must be dated less than 1 month from the date you submit our application to the Council.

You can request a copy of your criminal record by visiting the link below:



The forms you need to apply for are personal licence are:

Application - Personal licence.docx

Application - personal licence disclosure of convictions.docx


Licence Fees

The fees, as set out in the Licensing Act 2003, can be found here.

Statement of Licensing Policy

Our Statement of Licensing Policy provides information and guidance on how the Licensing Authority will carry out its duties and responsibilities under the Licensing Act 2003. The policy is available to download and view below:

Statement of Licensing Policy - Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council


Should you need advice about applying for a licence, or you wish to make a complaint about a licensed premises, please email us at Licensingadmin@redcar-cleveland​ or phone our contact centre on 01642 774774.

Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council

Licensing & Parking

Redcar & Cleveland House

Kirkleatham Street


TS10 1RT​


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links