Sign In

FAQs about Emergency Planning


You can find the frequently asked questions, and their answers, about emergency planning in Redcar and Cleveland below.

Q: Who Plans?
A: Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council employs a full-time Principal Emergency Planning Officer to ensure that the Major Incident Plan is coordinated and that arrangements and facilities are in place. They also take the lead in the Council for producing specialist plans such as for those for industrial incidents.

Q: Why Plan?
A: To ensure that Redcar & Cleveland Borough Councils support to the Emergency Services, and Community during the life saving and recovery phases of any incident is as effective as possible. The Borough Council aims to provide necessary services to those affected by the incident, whilst maintaining its essential day to day functions.

Q: What do we plan for?
A: The simple answer is everything. The Redcar & Cleveland Major Incident Plan is a generic plan written to cover many different types of incident, in it we plan for the effects on people and the environment not the cause of the incident. This allows the plan to be used in a wide range of incidents.

Q: Are there any specific plans?
A: Yes the Principal Emergency Planning Officer (PEPO) and Council Officers produce a range of plans for specific incidents. These include Industrial Off-Site plans covered by the Control of Major Accident Hazard Regulations 2015 (COMAH), the Radiation (Emergency Preparedness and Public Information) Regulations 2001 (REPPIR) and the Pipeline Safety Regulations 1996.

Other specific plans include the running of Recovery, Rest Centres, Temporary Mortuaries & responding to Oil Pollution.

Q: Where are the sites that are planned for Under COMAH?
A: Within the Borough there are 6 sites that are planned for under the COMAH Regulations, located around Teesport and Wilton International. Our colleagues in neighbouring authorities also produce plans to cover areas such as Seal Sands that could have an effect on the Borough.

Q: When are these plans used?
A: As well as during an incident the plans are regularly exercised and tested with our colleagues in the Emergency Services and partner agencies. They cover not only the incident but also the recovery from any incident.

Q: How is the Council made aware of a potential or actual incident?
A: Normally the Emergency Services would contact the Cleveland Emergency Planning Unit (CEPU), the Unit provide a duty officer system that provides a 24 hour 365 day response to any potential or actual incident. The CEPU officer will then cascade the message into the council and its partners. Members of the public should report an incident using 999.

​Q: What should I do in an incident or emergency?
A: If you become or are made aware of an incident you should:
  • Go Indoors
  • Stay In (Closing doors & windows)
  • Tune In (to local radios & TV for further information)
  • Follow the instructions of the Emergency Services if you are requested to evacuate your home.​

Q: What about evacuation?
A: Evacuation is often considered a last resort, depending on the incident you are often safer inside your home or place of work. When requested to evacuate follow the instructions given by the emergency services, they are for your safety.

Q: Do Major Incidents occur regularly in the area?
A: Thankfully no, but the potential is always there, as it is anywhere in the country. That's why we have an Emergency Planning Unit who work with Planners in the Emergency Services and other organisations to ensure that we are ready to respond when required.


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links