Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Business > Health and Safety > Asbestos Information > Working with Asbestos

​​​Working with Asbestos 

Never attempt work with asbestos insulation boards, pipe lagging or sprayed asbestos; these materials are friable (easily breakable and capable of releasing fibres) and MUST ONLY be worked with by a licensed asbestos contractor. These materials fall under the category of licensed work. Please refer to the HSE website for information about licensed contractors.
Non-licensed work with other materials may fall into two sub-categories: notifiable non-licensed work and non-notifiable non-licensed work. Please visit the HSE website for information about which category work falls under. 

Further information regarding non-licensed and notifiable non-licensed work can be found on the HSE website

The HSE have published a number of task sheets to help with non-licensed works, decontamination and disposal.

If you are unsure what type of asbestos product a particular material is, you should seek the advice of an asbestos professional before proceeding with any work.​

Notification to Enforcing Authority of Licensable Work with Asbestos (ASB5)
Work by licensed asbestos removal companies must be notified to either the Health and Safety Executive or Local Authority. A guide which details which is the correct enforcing authority based on the main activity at the workplace where the asbestos is present is provided below: 

How to identify the appropriate enforcing authority​

Type of premises/activity

Local Authority, eg District Council

Shops, offices, separate catering services, launderettes, sport, entertainment and recreational activities, exhibitions, church or religious meetings, hotels, camping and caravan sites, wholesale and retail storage.

District Council (or equivalent)

Factories and factory offices, civil engineering, construction* and demolition sites, hospitals, research and development establishments, local Government services and educational establishments, fairgrounds, radio, television and film broadcasting, sea going ships, docks, transport undertakings, railways, domestic premises, quarries,

farms (and associated activities), horticultural premises and forestries (*including premises which fall to Local Authorities).

Field Operations Directorate (FOD)
Health and Safety Executive

Mines, Offshore Installations and corresponding division

Hazardous Installation Directorate (HID)
Offshore Safety Division
Health and Safety Executive

Operating licensed nuclear sites

Field Operations Directorate (FOD)
Health and Safety Executive (FOD deal with removal work at these installations)

Licensed asbestos work:
1. Project is notifiable under The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM); or
2. All or part of the work is on the outside of the building or the external fabric of the

Field Operations Directorate (FOD)
Health and Safety Executive

Licensed asbestos work:
1. Not a notifiable CDM project and all of the work is on the interior of the building.

Local Authority (in LA enforced premises

To submit an ASB5 notification to this Authority please contact the Health and Safety Team by email.


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links