Sign In

Making a​ Complaint

​​​Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council is committed to promoting the highest standards of conduct by Members and has adopted a Code of Conduct for all Members as part of its constitution.​

Local authorities are responsible for operating a locally based system for the initial assessment of complaints that a Member may have breached the Code of Conduct. From 1 July 2012, the Monitoring Officer assesses complaints in consultation with an Independent Person. This function was previously undertaken by the Standards Assessment Sub Committee.

Anyone who believes that a Member of the Council may have breached the Code of Conduct can make a complaint to the Monitoring Officer. Each complaint will be assessed to establish whether it falls within the Standards Committee's jurisdiction. A decision will be made on whether any action should be taken either by way of investigation or alternative measure. This does not mean that the Monitoring Officer has made up his/her mind about the allegation, it means that the he/she has concluded that the alleged conduct, if proven, may amount to a failure to comply with the Code of Conduct.

The only types of complaints that can investigated, are those which involve an alleged breach of the Code of Conduct, which includes a Member:
  • doing anything which may knowingly cause the Council to breach the Equality Act 2010;
  • bullying or being abusive to any person;
  • intimidating or attempt to intimidate any person who is or is likely to be involved in a complaint;
  • compromising or is likely to compromise the impartiality of those who work for, or on behalf of, the Council.
  • disclosing confidential information.
  • conducting themselves in a manner which could reasonably be regarded as bringing their office or the Council into disrepute.
  • using or attempting to their position as a Member improperly to confer on or secure for themselves or any other person, an advantage or disadvantage
  • improperly using, or authorising the use by others, of the authority's resources.

​The Independent Person
The Localism Act 2011 requires the Council as part of its arrangements for dealing with complaints to appoint at least one 
Independent Person.

How to make a complaint
If you believe that a Member may have breached the Code of Conduct please submit your complaint in writing, together with any supporting documents, to:
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Redcar & Cleveland House
Kirkleatham Street
TS10 1RT​
​​​Complaint Form.pdf

You can also make a complaint using our online complaints form.


Redcar & Cleveland House,
Kirkleatham Street, Redcar,
Yorkshire TS10 1RT

you could call our Customer Services Team on 01642 774774 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Related Documents

Related Links