Tuned In!
Link to Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council's website
Link to facebook Link to Twitter Tunedin Address

18+ options

Options at Year 13

If you want to get into higher education, there are lots of options available.

More than just degrees
Higher education isnt necessarily about getting a traditional degree. You could choose to do a Foundation Degree, combining academic study with workplace learning. Another option is a work-related qualification, like a Higher National Certificate or Higher National Diploma.

Routes into Higher Education

Universities and colleges set their own entry requirements, so they vary depending upon the course you choose. For full-time courses, you can look up entry requirements on the UCAS website. For part-time courses, get the university or college prospectus most are now available online.

If you decide to stay in full-time education after Year 11, there are a range of academic, work-related and skills-based qualifications you can potentially use to get into higher education.

Generally, youll need qualifications at level 3 on the National Qualifications Framework. For UK students, this usually means:

· A Levels
· Scottish Highers
· an Advanced Diploma
· NVQs (National Vocational Qualifications)
· SVQs (Scottish Vocational Qualifications)
· BTEC National Diplomas and Certificates

You can also count Key Skills qualifications towards your application.

Learning while you earn

If you want to start work after Year 11, an Apprenticeship can be a route into higher education. Youll usually need to take an Advanced Apprenticeship.

As an Apprentice, you will also study for Key Skills, a technical certificate or other qualification relevant to your job. These can also count towards entry into higher education.

Registering for Work and training

If you are over 18, contact your local job centre Plus and they will tell you where and how to register. You need to do this to be able to get into work based training, or to claim any welfare benefits or allowances that you may be entitled to.