So far we have taken the following steps:
- The site is navigated through text links avoiding the use of graphical buttons which cannot be resized.
- Text content is resizable allowing the user to choose the size at which it is displayed (see below for instructions).
- High contrast colour combinations have been used where possible to make text easily readable.
- Text descriptions are given for images in the form of ALT tags - that is the text that appears when you rollover an image. This text is also available to screen-readers so users with sight difficulties can still make sense of the page.
- The use of frames has been avoided as screen-readers have problems navigating within framed sites.
- The order in which the tab key moves the cursor around the page particularly on forms is controlled so the keyboard user can move logically through the page.
- The site structure is designed to make it easy to find the information you are looking for and always has the search facility available.
- Graphical content has been kept to a minimum to avoid lengthy download times for people with slow internet connections.
- Access key shortcuts are provided so users who have difficulty using a mouse can navigate easily around the site.
In Internet Explorer:
- On the View menu rollover the Text Size option and click on Larger or Largest.
Note: If the text is not resized by following Step 1 then on the Tools menu click on Internet Options, then click on the Accessibility button. Tick the box next to Ignore font sizes specified on web pages.
In Mozilla Firefox:
- On the View menu rollover the Text Size option and click on Increase Font. Repeat until the text is of a size for you to read comfortably.
- Alternatively use the keyboard shortcuts. To increase text size press Ctrl and +, and to reduce the size press Ctrl and - simultaneously.
We are currently in the process of making this website accessible to all. If you find any problems with the accessibility of pages on the Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council website please contact us by telephone: (01642) 444512.
Return to: WEBSITE INFO