Tuned In!
Link to Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council's website
Link to facebook Link to Twitter Tunedin Address

Alcohol & drugs


Illegal drugs come in many different forms; tablets, powder and can be taken by swallowing, smoking or injecting. Drugs can change the way you think and behave, and therefore you may do something you wouldn't normally do.

They are split into four main groups: stimulants, depressants, hallucinogens and painkillers and can cause two types of addiction, physical or psychologically addictive, where users become mentally or physically dependent on the way the drug makes them feel.

Local contacts

If you or someone close to you is taking drugs, there are people that you can turn to for help. If you feel that you can't talk to your family or friends about it you can always talk in confidence to you GP who will be able to give you lots of support and advice about how you can stop.

Young people can access advice and information in relation to alcohol and drugs via Connexions Personal Advisers, Youth Service, Contraceptive Services or Youth Inclusion Project.

If more specialist help is required this can be accessed via

CREST Redcar & Cleveland - Young Persons Drug and Alcohol Service
Tel: 01642 513662 or 07901330037.

For more information

For straight talking information and advice on the effects and risks associated with taking drugs or are worried about someone else, visit FRANK or phone 0300 123 66 00, minicom 0800 917 8765

Alcohol Concern is the UK body that supports people with any issues they may have with alcohol abuse see www.alcoholconcern.org.uk

Alcoholics Anonymous can help people that have become dependant on alcohol. Visit their site at www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk.

Turning Point is a social care organization working with individuals and their communities across England and Wales in many areas including alcohol misuse. Visit Turning Point at www.turning-point.co.uk

Drink line is a national help line that provides counselling, support, advice and information on any issues relating to drinking. You can call Drink line on 0300 123 1110 and calls are charged at local rates.

NHS Direct
has information on drug misuse, how to recognise the signs, symptoms and information on the dangers involved.

Drugs Scope
Independent site which aims to inform to reduce drug-related risks.

Provides a range of services dedicated to meeting the health, welfare and legal needs of drug users.