Website AccessibilityAt Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council we are committed to making our website accessible to as much of the community as possible. To ensure we will meet the local government guidelines on web accessibility we are currently in the process of making improvements to the website.
So far we have taken the following steps:
- The site is navigated through text links avoiding the use of graphical buttons which cannot be resized.
- Text content is resizable allowing the user to choose the size at which it is displayed (see below for instructions).
- High contrast colour combinations have been used where possible to make text easily readable.
- Text descriptions are given for images in the form of ALT tags - that is the text that appears when you rollover an image. This text is also available to screen-readers so users with sight difficulties can still make sense of the page.
- The use of frames has been avoided as screen-readers have problems navigating within framed sites.
- The order in which the tab key moves the cursor around the page particularly on forms is controlled so the keyboard user can move logically through the page.
- The site structure is designed to make it easy to find the information you are looking for and always has the search facility available.
- Graphical content has been kept to a minimum to avoid lengthy download times for people with slow internet connections.
- Access key shortcuts are provided so users who have difficulty using a mouse can navigate easily around the site.
In Internet Explorer:
- On the View menu rollover the Text Size option and click on Larger or Largest.
Note: If the text is not resized by following Step 1 then on the Tools menu click on Internet Options, then click on the Accessibility button. Tick the box next to Ignore font sizes specified on web pages.
In Mozilla Firefox:
- On the View menu rollover the Text Size option and click on Increase Font. Repeat until the text is of a size for you to read comfortably.
- Alternatively use the keyboard shortcuts. To increase text size press Ctrl and +, and to reduce the size press Ctrl and - simultaneously.
We are currently in the process of making this website accessible to all. If you find any problems with the accessibility of pages on the Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council website please contact us by telephone: (01287) 612640.
You can translate any page on our website into various languages using free facilities provided by external translation websites.